#1 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

In the market for a brand new, decent, mid-sized refrigerator. Price range is Rs. 22-26k.

Which brand is the most reliable, long-lasting and recommended based on experience? Dawlance, Haier, LG, Pel, Orient, Waves or other?

#2 Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed

Elite

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationIslamabad

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

I would prefer a National No-frost type, be it used or new.

LG or Dawlance are good brands, they are in market for a long time.

On Mars, you would need a different kind of refrigerator :)
  • ehti likes this

#3 hawker

hawker

Gold member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationLhr

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Waves, Dawlance - BS. Give it a try if you still want to.
Quality can only be decided after using 3-4 years.
A new refrig. will obviously work fine for quite some time no matter who the vendor is.
Let the beauty we love, be what we do.

#4 armada

armada

Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

i want ice cube maker !!any help what brand makes those and where to get

#5 wampyr

wampyr

Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationHumid Swamp of Asia

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

In the market for a brand new, decent, mid-sized refrigerator. Price range is Rs. 22-26k. Which brand is the most reliable, long-lasting and recommended based on experience? Dawlance, Haier, LG, Pel, Orient, Waves or other?

One of the fridge that we have is National no-frost. My father bought it like 22~25 years ago and it is still kicking. Whereas, Waves that was bought about about 15 years ago have problems and the "body" is not good enough while the compressor is still good. Whereas, one of my friend has Waves (bought about 10 years ago) and they have to replace the compressor. One of my cousin had bought Dawlance about 5 years ago and it is still going good. Hence, it is hard to say which will work or not.

By the way, no-frost and frost models are their own advantages and disadvantages too. Frost consumes slightly less electricity and give more cooling, plus less chances of producing problems, but frost is the problem. Whereas, in my experience no-frost is good as it doesn't have frost problem but because it is little bit more complicated then frost-model, that's why there are more chances that thermostat or any other thing may get out-of-order and create problems (excessive heating, not good cooling etc.). If frost is a problem for you then get no-frost, otherwise get frost fridge. Plus, always invest in a good brand. It gives you longer life for product. But always get warranty. Electronics without warranty is gambling.

By the way, when you are going to buy such an expensive machine, then please get a really good quality voltage stabilizer. People usually invest 25k to 30k on fridge but spend only 1000 on a third-class voltage stabilizer. Voltage stabilizer is very important in Pakistan. Otherwise, your fridge can go south any time, all thanks to WAPDA.

i want ice cube maker !!any help what brand makes those and where to get

Planning to start lemonade tycoon business? :P
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

#6 hawker

hawker

Gold member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationLhr

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Anyone found any G.E. refrig... anywhere?

#7 Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed

Elite

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationIslamabad

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

I think I have seen used GE refrigerators at some used household markets in Islamabad. Usually diplomats bring them and then sell before they leave.

Are you interested in buying GE fridge ?

#8 Imran

Imran

Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Loadshedding will not allow you to use no-frost fridge.

Go for Dawlance or Orient. Both are good. Cousin bought these two they both working.

I am also using National no-frost fridge since 1990. Only changed its compressor to Denfos Compressor once.

آجکل جوش میں ہر ایک بتانا چاہ رہا ہے کہ "میں ابنِ بطوطہ میرا لکھا مخطوطہ"

#9 tramper

tramper

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

In my home we have no frost national since 1975(that's 37 year) without a single problem. Bought waves and Dawlance and had to sell them due to compressor, rubber seal at door issues. Bought Samsung, Electrolux and Siemens and they are very good specially Siemens because of energy class A+. Buy the best brand you can afford preferably non-desi brands. I think foriegn brands have years of R&D experience and legacy.

#10 nvd650

nvd650

Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

This is typically my field :)

LG/Hitachi/Samsung/Siemens if you can buy/afford And all are imported.

But in Local brands Haier is at top :) Believe me, being dealer of Dawlance, Pel, Waves, Orient, Dawlance, I konw on bases of my sales and feed back.... Haier is best....
  • jhagra likes this

Lake Saif Ul Malook                       -                   Image Gallery of Saif ul Malook

Cheap Hosting Plan

#11 nvd650

nvd650

Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

And yes Thanks to WAPDA every fridge now a days is NO-FROST :D
  • ImtheKiller likes this

Lake Saif Ul Malook                       -                   Image Gallery of Saif ul Malook

Cheap Hosting Plan

#12 jack

jack

Platinum member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Locationkarachi

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

there are still original japanese imported fridges available in the market, but their sizes are too big and will cost you around 70k which is out of your budget. I would suggest to never buy second hand fridges because you never know how they have been used. Always buy new and in warranty.

I was in the market 2 months ago to buy a good fridge and looked at the brands, Dawlance, Pel, Waves, Orient. after comparing different brands I figured that haier is the best one I can get in my budget which was the same as yours...they have a lot of features including easily replaceable rubbers, solid construction, etc

you can check out some other features of their fridges here:

http://www.haier.com...1&cat=3&type=41

Edited by jack, 04 April 2012 - 09:19 AM.

------------

#13 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I think I have seen used GE refrigerators at some used household markets in Islamabad. Usually diplomats bring them and then sell before they leave.

Are you interested in buying GE fridge ?

No not really, but thanks for the input. :)

#14 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

This is typically my field :)

LG/Hitachi/Samsung/Siemens if you can buy/afford And all are imported.

But in Local brands Haier is at top :) Believe me, being dealer of Dawlance, Pel, Waves, Orient, Dawlance, I konw on bases of my sales and feed back.... Haier is best....

Thanks mate. Valuable input. A couple of other guys have also recommended Haier so I guess I'll have to narrow down my search to Haier and Siemens. Now let's see if we can keep the Saddar electronics market open for a few days and if I can find one that fits my budget. :)

#15 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thank you all for sharing. Excellent info which will come in dandy while browsing the electronics market.

#16 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

One of the fridge that we have is National no-frost. My father bought it like 22~25 years ago and it is still kicking. Whereas, Waves that was bought about about 15 years ago have problems and the "body" is not good enough while the compressor is still good. Whereas, one of my friend has Waves (bought about 10 years ago) and they have to replace the compressor. One of my cousin had bought Dawlance about 5 years ago and it is still going good. Hence, it is hard to say which will work or not.

By the way, no-frost and frost models are their own advantages and disadvantages too. Frost consumes slightly less electricity and give more cooling, plus less chances of producing problems, but frost is the problem. Whereas, in my experience no-frost is good as it doesn't have frost problem but because it is little bit more complicated then frost-model, that's why there are more chances that thermostat or any other thing may get out-of-order and create problems (excessive heating, not good cooling etc.). If frost is a problem for you then get no-frost, otherwise get frost fridge. Plus, always invest in a good brand. It gives you longer life for product. But always get warranty. Electronics without warranty is gambling.

By the way, when you are going to buy such an expensive machine, then please get a really good quality voltage stabilizer. People usually invest 25k to 30k on fridge but spend only 1000 on a third-class voltage stabilizer. Voltage stabilizer is very important in Pakistan. Otherwise, your fridge can go south any time, all thanks to WAPDA.

Planning to start lemonade tycoon business? :P

But do you agree with @imran in this thread who said that no-frost is not a good option because of the frequent power outages? I suppose no-frost means the temperature will rise faster because there's no frost buildup inside the freezer... Thoughts? Suggestions?

#17 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

there is still original japanese imported fridges available in the market, but their sizes are too big and will cost you around 70k which is out of your budget. never buy second hand fridges because you never know how they have been used. Always buy new and in warranty.

I was in the market 2 months ago to buy a good fridge and looked at the brands, Dawlance, Pel, Waves, Orient. after comparing different brands I figured that haier is the best one I can get
in my bduget which was the same as yours...they have a lot of features including easily replaceable rubbers, solid construction, etc

you can check out some other features of their fridges here:

http://www.haier.com...1&cat=3&type=41

Many thanks, but 65k does not fit my budget. I suppose you mean to say that they have units available in the price range I mentioned above?

#18 hawker

hawker

Gold member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationLhr

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Ijaz Ahmed

No i was only curious.

#19 wampyr

wampyr

Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationHumid Swamp of Asia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

But do you agree with @imran in this thread who said that no-frost is not a good option because of the frequent power outages? I suppose no-frost means the temperature will rise faster because there's no frost buildup inside the freezer... Thoughts? Suggestions?

Load-shedding is not good for any kind of electronics, including refrigerators. Whether frost or no-frost, it will lose cooling with long hours of load-shedding. Frost fridges do one thing, when compressor is on, it is freezing and when the desired temperature is reached the thermostat will turn off the compressor and the cycles goes on. Same thing happens with no-frost but an additional step is added to this cycle and that is, a heating phase is added, in which the temperature is raised (instead of cooling) to melt down the buildup ice. That's how you get "no-frost" because the "frost" is melted down with higher temperature. Does load-shedding can affect it, of course it can. Load-shedding is bad, really bad. All electronic appliances are created with Western technologies in mind, where the load-shedding is not expected. Load-shedding is the "quality" of this sh!t-hole (i.e., this country) and appliances are not created with load-shedding in mind. Enjoy living in hell-on-earth. :D
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

#20 johnny98

johnny98

Bronze member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

This model from Haier looks good: http://www.beliscity...o.pakistan.html

Not sure what the price is in the market but will check it out.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google Ads