Posted

how to repair ur HOMAGE UPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwvvjlGqM3w

Regards

Engr Asad Hameed

[email protected]

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nice video. Since you know about Homage I wanted to ask you a simple question. Isn't Homage equipped with a charger that can detect the state of the battery and stop the charging accordingly? My battery is now 1.5 years old and now Homage does not shutoff the trickle charge and keeps on charging the battery. This would mean that Homage can not detect the decrease in the battery's capacity and thinks the battery is not sufficiently charged.

What is the point of designing a charger (from the Homage designer's point of view) that is unable to detect when a battery is old and adjust its charging accordingly?

Edited by Raza0007

Posted

Nice vid ... Can u tell us how much kW was that UPS and what batteries u were using ??

Posted (edited)

Nice video. Since you know about Homage I wanted to ask you a simple question. Isn't Homage equipped with a charger that can detect the state of the battery and stop the charging accordingly? My battery is now 1.5 years old and now Homage does not shutoff the trickle charge and keeps on charging the battery. This would mean that Homage can not detect the decrease in the battery's capacity and thinks the battery is not sufficiently charged.

What is the point of designing a charger (from the Homage designer's point of view) that is unable to detect when a battery is old and adjust its charging accordingly?

Sorry for late reply

Yeah Homage UPS is equipped with a trickle charger + it do has a charging current sensing mechanism to know the charging status, let me give u the inside

Homage UPS has two types of charging modes, one is fast charging mode & the second one is slow charging mode, it has a microprocessor which continuously monitors the charging current flowing into the battery during the charging process, if it finds high current flowing into the battery it keeps the Fast charger plug in until the charging current level falls below the threshold value, then it kicks in the trickle charger (slow charger) to maintain the battery level.

Lets see y people complaint about the HOMAGE Charger, the locally manufactured batteries r built with cheap crappy poorly recycled LEAD PB material, initially these batteries works great but with the passage of time the poor LEAD PB electrodes starts dissolving into the electrolyte solution (Diluted Sulfuric Acid H2SO4) the particles of LEAD PB settles down on the bottom of the Battery cells container those particles acts as a conductor & shorts the electrodes partially (self drainage) & sometimes the colour of the electrolyte becomes blackish, in this way the charger has to put extra effort in order to charge the Battery, massive amount of current flows into the battery & the UPS processor considers the battery need to be charged more in this way it never turns off the Fast charger & the battery starts boiling due to the massive current flow.

Trust me there is no charging fault in the HOMAGE UPS charger, only the batteries r the Culprit, let me make u clear there is hell of difference between Automotive & UPS batteries, Basically the Homage UPS r designed to Charge Valve Regulated Lead Acid Sealed (AGM or GELL) type UPS Deep cycle Batteries (less number & thick plates),

In Pakistan People have no sense About UPS & Automotive Battery they consider both of them equal but infect it's not like that, UPS & Automotive Batteries r very much different in their chemistry OK, in vehicles u need high current drain that flows in a Starter Motor for a short instant to crank the engine (Fire up the Beast yeah Babe its 5A-GE inside ) then the 3-phase Alternator along with the rectifier + Regulator takes over, but Vehicle batteries r cheap to buy + high Maintenance cost by adding Distal water again & again. But in UPS u require a steady state Current drain for long back up , i'm using personally "High Rate C & D Technology" American battery for last 2.5 years she is still running perfect . . . like a new babe

In simple I did something via Chipping to make it Work with Automotive Batteries that we all people use in our Home

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zapMniHMRM

ok Dude let me tell u about its working, i made an Efficient Algorithm for the Charging process that works Perfect with Homage UPS because I Designed it on Homage UPS Prototype. If ur Homage UPS is charging ur Battery Properly & Battery is not Boiling (Electrolyte in not drying) & the Fast charger (u can identify when internal cooling FAN is running) Stops within 2 to 3 hours then it's great & u don't need any chipping…

Regrads

Engr Asad Hameed

[email protected]

Edited by hameeds01

Posted (edited)

Nice vid ... Can u tell us how much kW was that UPS and what batteries u were using ??

as its clear from the video, Vision 2000 ===> 2000VA,1200w UPS

in the video i used Valve Regulated Lead Acid (Absorbent Glass Mat) type batteries (7Ah,12x2v) just for repairing purpose . . .

Regards

Engr Asad Hameed

[email protected]

Edited by hameeds01

Posted

Sorry for late reply

Yeah Homage UPS is equipped with a trickle charger + it do has a charging current sensing mechanism to know the charging status, let me give u the inside........

My battery is not boiling, it is just considerably warm to touch. The electrodes are also significantly warm. I need to top it of quite frequently now and the battery is consuming a 0.5 liter distilled water bottle every 10-12 days now. This is an indication that Homage is continuously charging it slowly.

Homage turns off its fast charger after some time but the trickle charge does not turn off now. I gather from your post that it is due to the cheap quality materials used in the battery and not the fault of the inverter. So, what is the solution? Shall I take the battery to a dealer and ask him to clean the deposits that have settled at the bottom? Because the battery is still performing and I am confident that it will last me another summer season too. However if this trickle charge problem keeps on, either the battery or the inverter will probably go bad in a couple of months.

I know about the difference between the deep cycle vs engine starting batteries but since no local manufacturer is making deep cycle batteries, so I do not have a lot of choice. Imported batteries are out of my pocket book range. In fact, I bought this IT series from Volta as I saw on the advertisement that they were using special thickness for both positive and negative plates.

Any reason why all Chinese inverters in the market have just 2-stage chargers built into them? A good 3-stage charger would have solved this problem in my opinion.

Can Homage inverter be programmed in such a way that it cuts off the trickle charge after 2 hrs, regardless of the battery feedback, as in my opinion after the fast charger has run its cycle, the battery should be sufficiently charged with an additional 2 hrs trickle charge. This should take care of the excessive heat being generated in the battery.

Posted (edited)

Ur battery is evaporating distal water + its warm to touch (partial short electrodes condition) open the battery cap & see the lower surface of the caps u can see a blackish material, if u take ur battery to the dealer the battery guy would say SIR ur battery is Perfect, YES ur battery is perfect just for Automotives not for UPS, yeah there is a way to turn off the UPS charger by chipping . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zapMniHMRM

there is one way to bring ur Battery back to life just for few couple of months (Success rate 15%) follow the following steps:

1) disconnect ur battery

2) leave it for 6 to 8 hours so that its temperature reaches the room temp.

3) shake ur battery well

now reconnect ur battery (Becareful with the polarity) & wait for the results (Success rate 15%)

Desi UPS have just one stage charger, Homage UPS is equipped with 2 stage charger, & Good Expensive UPS r based on PWM Charging Technique

The immaculate solution is tht take ur battery to battery dealer & replace it with new one by giving some extra money thatz it,

Never go for EXIDE, AGS, Volta

Regards

Engr Asad Hameed

Edited by hameeds01

Posted (edited)

Ur battery is evaporating distal water + its warm to touch (partial short electrodes condition) open the battery cap & see the lower surface of the caps u can see a blackish material, ........

I will take my battery to the dealer and tell him about the partial short in electrodes and see what he says about correcting this. Or maybe the battery just needs to be equalized or something.

Edited by Raza0007

Posted

Trust me dude the uneducated battery guy will connect a Load Meter & measure the Load current + he will check the Specific gravity of the electrolyte solution, (This is an Automobile Battery Check), SIR ur battery is perfect.

Ur battery is still Good for Automobiles & can serve 1 to 1.5 years in them but not with ur UPS,

hey don't waste ur Money in buying local crappy Batteries go for VRLA AGM or Gel Type Imported Batteries

& Enjoy ur Life

Regards

Engr Asad Hameed

Posted

Thnx for the info.

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted

Homage UPS' are the best. I'm using it from the last 2.5 years and It has never given any kind of fault. But one problem is there, its current is modified sinewave which is not good for computers. Modified sinewave current decreases the life span of motherboards and power supplies of computers.

Modified Sine wave has nothing to do with MotherBoard's life because in computer supply the first stage is Rectification, only it is not good for AC Induction motors,

only the drawback with HOMAGE UPS with computers is that the Switching time from WAPDA to Inverter is more which causes the Computer to reboot.

+ now a dayz the HOMAGE has decreased it's quality

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted (edited)

so guys

there is an other UPS in the Market named as "VORTEX" Made in Tiawan which is much much better than current HOMAGE UPS + it is suitable for Computers no restart + dual mode charger (10/20A) really impressive preformance . . .

HOMAGE UPS were tremendous in the start but now i'm sorry to say HOMAGE UPS sucks, company has abridged the eminence . . . so its a pain low Quality components, just to get more & more Profit, they r just using the name now

Regards

Engr Asad

Edited by hameeds01

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted (edited)

What is the price of 600 watts Vertex UPS?

Available in 1200 watts...........?

Edited by Ammar77

Posted

i don't know the exact prices but i think the prices r equal to Homage

they r available in

600W

700W

1200W

1400W

etc

Posted

@Hameeds01

what do you recommend for coming season Vertec or Homage.......?

Thanks.

Posted

VORTEX is much better choice than new model HOMAGE UPS

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal
1 person likes this

Posted

@Asad Hameed. Can you please tell me which thing in UPS is responsible for shifting of current from WAPDA to batteries? Why homage inverters have long shifting time?

the switching time depends on the following factors

1) how quickly the inverter circuit responds when the UPS shits to Battery mode

2) how fastly the Relay contacts trigger

3) etc

HOMAGE UPS Transfer time = >18ms

VORTEX UPS Transfer time = <10ms

i did experiment with both UPS

Computer only reboots with HOMAGE not with VORTEX

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal
1 person likes this

Posted

My Experience:

When I switch off the power for Homage UPS, the desktop PC doesn't restart but when power fails from WAPDA or power load shedding happens,the desktop always restart. Why this happens? Electricity supply is cut off in both the situations but the Homage UPS reaction is different in both the cases.

True.........

1 person likes this