Telenor's MMS settings on Android-based phones

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Well - I've got me an HTC Desire - but the trouble is, I can receive MMSs but can't send them (!!!). Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how I can send MMSs? Sometimes it says there's a general error, and at one point in time, it said "service error".

I'd be grateful if anyone could help out here.

The internet is working fine though, and as advised by a few walkthroughs, I have made multiple access points for MMS and Internet.

Posted

* Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks >Access Point Names.

* Press the 'Menu' key and select "New APN".

* Now use the following settings:

Name: MMS (anything you like)

APN: mms

Username: Telenor

Password: Telenor

MMSC: http://mmstelenor or http://mmstelenor (Try both)

MMS Proxy: 172.018.019.011

MMS Port: 8080

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0 (Only if it asks you)

MCC: 410 (should be there by default)

MNC: 01 (use whatever is there by default)

APN type: mms

You can leave all the other fields blank as they are and save these settings.

SOURCE

Posted

Copy pasting doesn't help. Apparently, this piece of information's (verbatim) is online. If anyone's been successful in working it out personally, please share.

Why do I say? Look at teh MNC value and specifically, the MMSC line...

Posted

* Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks >Access Point Names.

* Press the 'Menu' key and select "New APN".

* Now use the following settings:

Name: MMS (anything you like)

APN: mms

Username: Telenor

Password: Telenor

MMSC: http://mmstelenor or http://mmstelenor (Try both)

MMS Proxy: 172.018.019.011

MMS Port: 8080

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0 (Only if it asks you)

MCC: 410 (should be there by default)

MNC: 01 (use whatever is there by default)

APN type: mms

You can leave all the other fields blank as they are and save these settings.

SOURCE

I tried settings from same site for my desire on zong network but that doesn't help.

Posted

Got the MMS settings to work! Woohoo!

Here's what you need to do: make two different APNs.

One of them will be for the internet. The APN is "internet", call it whatever name you want, and right at the bottom, you'll see "APN Type". Key in "default" in there. Press Menu and then Save (don't just press the back key)

Now create a new AP for MMS. Give it a name, enter in the APN field "mms", and in the username AND password fields, type "Telenor" (note the capitalization". In the MMSC area, key in "http://mmstelenor", and the proxy is 172.18.19.11 (with 8080 as the port). In the APN type, key in "mms". Press Menu > Save.

You should be brought back to the preceeding screen, with two APs and one entry has a radio button (a rounded button). Select that if it isn't. Now try sending messages.

What I've discovered is that unless you don't specify the "default" and "mms" entries in the APN types, the phone won't know what to do. If you miss one or the other, either your GPRS won't work or your MMS won't.

Do post back when you manage to get it working.

Posted

I think desire needs some special settings. MMS doesn't work for me either . Am using zong and desire on android 2.2. Have tried everything I could but no success.

Posted

Got the MMS settings to work! Woohoo!

Here's what you need to do: make two different APNs.

One of them will be for the internet. The APN is "internet", call it whatever name you want, and right at the bottom, you'll see "APN Type". Key in "default" in there. Press Menu and then Save (don't just press the back key)

Now create a new AP for MMS. Give it a name, enter in the APN field "mms", and in the username AND password fields, type "Telenor" (note the capitalization". In the MMSC area, key in "http://mmstelenor", and the proxy is 172.18.19.11 (with 8080 as the port). In the APN type, key in "mms". Press Menu > Save.

You should be brought back to the preceeding screen, with two APs and one entry has a radio button (a rounded button). Select that if it isn't. Now try sending messages.

What I've discovered is that unless you don't specify the "default" and "mms" entries in the APN types, the phone won't know what to do. If you miss one or the other, either your GPRS won't work or your MMS won't.

Do post back when you manage to get it working.

You Rocccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk man, really appreciated.

Countless times I went to these idiots sitting there at Zong CSC and non of them had a clue as to how to do it. Never thought just putting in 'default' would do wonders :).

It now works like a charm. Now, I think we need some more settings to get us a better speed on EDGE :). Theoretically EDGE should be able to give 236 kbps but at the moment zong's "EDGE" doesn't edge past 50 kbps. Real crap. With this much speed, these kind of handsets are really underutilized. But mean while, I should get on with MMS.

Thanks again.

Posted

No prob :) glad to have helped.

Maybe the mods ought to make this post sticky and we should start pushing it everywhere online - because I saw these instructions in ONE forum thread in some UK-telco forum (Google is indeed your best friend - you just need to learn how to exploit - err - manipulate it....).

Oh - and the phone can support more than 236Kbps... check this on HTC's specs page:

EDGE: Up to 560 kbps downloading

Wiki says: EDGE can carry a bandwidth up to 236.8 kbit/s (with end-to-end latency of less than 150 ms) for 4 timeslots (theoretical maximum is 473.6 kbit/s for 8 timeslots) in packet mode. This means it can handle four times as much traffic as standard GPRS.

I make no judgements - but... if that is even remotely possible, then HELL YEAH!

PS: I'm on Telenor and I have noted the pings to go down to 200ms - but not often though.

Posted

Last thing: the MMS image in my phone is horrible - it's a network issue (the network downscales the image because it can't "recognize" the phone).

I've already emailed Telenor, they said they'll forward the info to the concerned department... but beats me if anything's been done in that regard.

Oh well - atleast I can send high quality even if I can't receive high quality...

Posted

Last thing: the MMS image in my phone is horrible - it's a network issue (the network downscales the image because it can't "recognize" the phone).

I've already emailed Telenor, they said they'll forward the info to the concerned department... but beats me if anything's been done in that regard.

Oh well - atleast I can send high quality even if I can't receive high quality...

You can try shifting to Zong, i get MMS with reasonable image. One thing I have noticed that edge/gprs on my connection was working fine but the moment I subscribed for monthly unlimited package, I have started to face all sorts of problems. I am clueless as to why this is happenning but whatever, speed is damn damn slow. I remember using worldcall evdo with 256 kbps download and man that was quite reasonable. I mean surfing was never an issue. So even if our telecom operators 'somehow' manage to provide us with even 236k, we can surf web and use google maps. With these speeds even maps won't be able to load new page. Darn....

I tried googling that too but never got my eyes on this stuff, perhaps I need to open em bit more :). But I believe this is the issue many desire users are facing so if the solution is readily available, that would save them of the annoyance we've faced.

Posted

I have to admit, it took me a few days to find the solution to fix the MMS (boy, did I hate that time!) but was overjoyed when it worked!

And then - low grade MMS images started pouring in.

I don't want to switch to Zong cause

1) network isn't really the best (well - the same argument can go for the other telcos too), and

2) their GPRS isn't fast. It wasn't fast two years ago, and I don't think it's improved as such.

And I just converted to Persona so...

Posted

I have to admit, it took me a few days to find the solution to fix the MMS (boy, did I hate that time!) but was overjoyed when it worked!

And then - low grade MMS images started pouring in.

I don't want to switch to Zong cause

1) network isn't really the best (well - the same argument can go for the other telcos too), and

2) their GPRS isn't fast. It wasn't fast two years ago, and I don't think it's improved as such.

And I just converted to Persona so...

What speeds you get with Telenor's EDGE. This pathetic zong is not giving me anything above 5.5 KB/s. Its really disgusting, neither can I use google maps with ease coz most of the times map won't load nor can browse with this speed. More ironic is that, am unable to send/receive MMS with this speed. Spending 500 for this is just a waste.

Posted

15Kb/s usually (as in - after the prepaid bundles were introduced) during the daytime, often more at night.

Posted (edited)

Then its way better than zong. I've a feeling that when i was on prepaid, zong's EDGE was also good, turned bad once I changed to postpaid and got even worse when I subscribed to edge unlimited bundle package. Can't think of any possible logic and also I don't think Zong's techs are that stupid that they'd provide postpaid customers with most pathetic service. Have no clue. May be I am wrong. Seems switching to Telenor is inevitable though!

Edited by atif_khan

Posted

15Kb/s usually (as in - after the prepaid bundles were introduced) during the daytime, often more at night.

Yeah same here I get around 15kb/s too, nowhere near the 30-50kb/s that the sales rep said and had me excited, but still its consistent speed that you get with Telenor.

Posted

50KB - I've never heard anyone on EDGE get it - but I've seen 32KB/s on my phone.

The only time that happened was when there wasn't alot of rush (i.e. offpeak times... let's say - after 11 or something) - BUT IT DOES reach that speed.

Posted

Okay my speed of 15Kb/s was based on using the speedtest app for android. I have been using my phone as a wireless hotspot with my laptop for the last two days and I got a minimum, that's right, minimum speed of 27Kb/s downloading a 5mb file. In between it would even shoot up to 45Kb/s, only for like a second but still, that is my top speed right there. Browsing speed is pretty good too. I love Telenor.

Posted

Well - just don't convert your package onto postpaid (because GPRS on prepaid, provided your volume is not unlimited, is cheaper)... and so are SMSs. Only calls are cheaper on postpaid - but then, I don't want this thread to veer off-topic.

Posted

btw has any body noticed crappy time stamp problem with received messages. At times received messages are displayed before sent messages. This is really annoying. This certainly is problem with HTC Desire, don't know of others.

Posted

Yeh I have - I did a quick search. It's not entirely an Android issue - it gets fixed depending on your handset manufacturer (I read somewhere where HTC issued a small update fixing this - but that was for another phone and another region).

Oh well - there's really not much we can do unless

1) Google sets the "receiving time on the handset" as the guiding factor for SMS threading, or

2) all the networks in the country (or the world) have their clocks synced with the atomic clock (and this would probably be the easy way out).

Till then - you'll have to do your own stitching up of the correct timestamps.

Posted

Btw Handcent SMS seems to solve the problem. I've been using it for quite a while now and it has never come up with this problem. Thinking of updating to build 2.2.29, but don't have courage to waste 28 more MBs on internal memory.BTW have you rooted your device?

Posted

Yup I have. I downloaded Handcent a number of times. I've tried GoSMS too, and Chomp - but they all mimic each other's interface, make a feeble attempt in looking like the iPhone interface (I'm more of a plain vanilla minimalist - something these three apps can't seem to do very well).

I think you can change the useragent in Handcent before downloading MMS messages - that should fix the problem. but then - as you said, 28MB internal memory...