3G in Pakistan ? when :(

138 posts in this topic

Posted

I am really pissed to see Indian Ads coming on my TV about 3G i am just pissed when its our time? we have 3G phones 4G phones but we don't have a freaking 3G network, Any idea? when it gonna come

Posted (edited)

quickly skip those ads

When PTA issue Licenses to Operators

Edited by armada

Posted

So why PTA isn't they want bribe?

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted (edited)

companies are not in losses

there is a secret behind to not launching 3G networks this I will tell you later

Edited by armada

Posted

companies are not in losses

there is a secret behind to not launching 3G networks this I will tell you later

The companies "are" in losses (its a fact). Only Ufone is in profit as far as i know, and maybe one other.

There is no secret for not launching 3G. Its just a matter of simple economies of scale. Telecom companies have not been able to recover "fixed costs" associated with 2.5G as there is not much sales "to spread" the cost on. Telecom companies' variable cost is very low so they will wait until their fixed costs are absorbed and start making a profit before they can even think about introducing new technologies.

Also i think some companies have already incurred fixed costs associated with 3G (I heard telenor is testing it these days). So they might be waiting for the right moment (when costs absorption is optimum) to launch it.

Posted

What about PTCL? They have got wireless broadband/EVO (through CDMA?). Why can't they offer the same for cell phones?!

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted

Without 3G, we are alive and we would be alive if it never comes to Pakistan.

ditto

Posted (edited)

its very is to understand why companies are not launching 3g networks because if they do this it could be suicide for themselves.......

How suicide?

because once they lunch 3g networks they will automatically loose huge regular phone to phone callers & sms users as well..(specially in youth)

if you have 3G network with data plane packages will you make regular phone calls to your international/national friends & family at confused, expensive rates defiantly not you will setup any voip app and start making unlimited local/int'l calls on the move at fixed data rates and companies won't gonna happen this

3G services may also effect PTCL and other ISPs (PTA not issuing 3g licenses and Mobile oprators not want it :lol:
Edited by armada

Posted

still fast internet is something missing GPRS sucks

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted

3rd generation technology is for the thirdclass countries. We are number one, so we use the 1st generation on telephony (: . Isnt that just great.

Posted (edited)

--

Edited by Ahmed Talal

Posted

3000-15000 rupees is the monthly income of round about half population of Pakistan. So, think in this aspect that 7000 rupees cell phone is also expensive for them. Even most of them are unable to buy a 1000 rupees handset.

Yet cell phone is with almost everyone, is it not? I know people that are by definition 'poor' but they still have cell phones... like street cleaners/jhaaro dene wale.

Posted

Used handets, come for as low as 200/- Depending on the make.

Posted

hey noclue 3g mobiles are not so much expensive many people got good mobile phones but they still don't have an idea what is wifi 3g and few even don't know bluetooth yet

Posted

3000-15000 rupees is the monthly income of round about half population of Pakistan. So, think in this aspect that 7000 rupees cell phone is also expensive for them. Even most of them are unable to buy a 1000 rupees handset.

!

3G won't be used by that segment of population. In fact, that population is one of the reasons why the industry has a low ARPU. Clearly, the move towards data services is present - and one major reason why people aren't using data services is because it's just faster to do it on DSL, for e.g. - so those who earn <15k per month aren't going to use 3G in the first place, let alone make alot of calls.

To put it in perspective, only those who earn a decent income will probably use it. These include people who are in the metropolitan cities, not in rural cities. Video calling is a luxury that I doubt many will use. I mean - you can use it upto so much - after that, what will you get? Nothing. 3G isn't about video calling only; it improves the network capacity as well as the voice quality (in addition to the data capabilities).

Posted

Think about this, we already have successful late night romatic packages for our citizens to enjoy the whole night. 3G will bring up more possibilites, like video calling. This would open a new market of late night video calling packages, which is too dangerous for our youth. Therefore, 3G is maybe not the thing for Pakistanis. We are already exploiting 2G to it's limits. Our government is for once doin something good; not letting anyone launch 3G here. All praise to our leaders for such a thoughtful action. Their thinktanks are unmatched to our thinking.

Posted

^ True 3G would be just like HIV AIDS if it arrives

Posted

late night video calling packages.

endless possibilities hmmm.. Just had a nasty thought about it *goosebump*

Posted

erotic calls

Posted

late night video calling packages.

LOL

It's up to us what we do with any new technology. +ive and -ive aspect are there for every single thing.

Posted

^ Exactly, it can be a good thing is a husband and wife are havin a late video chat on 3G, whats the harm in that. Imagine all those guys working in the abroad without families with them can finally see their wives on video calls. That would be just awsome. Lots of revenue for our telecom operators.