• Announcements

• Intermittent usage issues   08/31/2015

If you are experiencing intermittent issues with using the website, do the following: Clear your browser cache.Clear your browser cookies, especially all those relating to this website.Login again and use as normal.If issues still persist, update your web browser to its latest version and try again.

I'm fedup of slow Upload speeds

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I am using PTCL 4 Mbps + Wateen 4 Mbps Cable combined with load balancing router. The total upload speed I get is 500 kbps PTCL + 1 Mbps Wateen, I think its very slow. And Wateen 1 Mbps upload for 4 Mbps users is a ripoff as they also offer 1 Mbps upload for basic 1 Mbps package. I became interested in 50 Mbps package of PTCL, but it still offer around 2 Mbps upload and its not available in my area as I am 3 km from exchange. On single copper line I will not get more than 1 Mbps speed on PTCL no matter what package.

I believe we are still living in primitive world when it comes to broadband. No matter how much we say we have progressed we are still far far behind.

What I want is 10 Mbps connection with around 5 Mbps upload. Is that too much to ask ? I believe it would take us 10 years or so to even achieve this level when the world be talking about Gbps connections.

1 person likes this

Posted

We will never achieve such a Download/upload ratio. According to the normal isp standards the upload must be the quarter of the total download bandwidth.

e.g 1mbps download then upload must be 256kbps.

Posted

I get ~85KB/sec up along with full download speed and 100 to 115KB/sec without downloading on my 4mbps PTCL. But I think your correct Nabz, despite having much larger broadband penetration across Pakistan, we still get basic broadband data rates at ridiculously high prices. which is purely due to lack of forward-thinking of inappropriate and dishonest personal made in-charge of technology industry.

Even if such increment in bandwidth happens in 10 years, it will solely be dependent on if forward-thinking, honest and appropriate people are made in-charge.

Posted

Prices in Pakistan for broadband are criminally high, especially considering all the fiber cables strewn all over the country, and the pretty fast fibre optic links Pakistan has to the outside world now.

PTCL is slowly dieing, and is trying to compensate for its phone business from broadband - except they're pricing it to high and not even offering fast packages for which they could charge more for/

Posted

DSL is relatively cheaper in developed countries but I should make it clear, wireless internet is not. Wireless internet is also expensive in developed countries. Few days back, I was checking websites of internet providers in Qatar, England, Philippines, Jordan and I found that download cap is not only our issue, ISPs of these companies are also implementing such policies for the quality purposes and rates are as high as 10000 rupees for 4-6 mbps internet connections but according to the income status of these countries, rates are not that high for people. Since Pakistan is ranked 4th in poverty and general income is very low, rates which are setted up by companies appear very high.

Posted

We are not talking about wireless internet and to me, wireless internet is for facebooking, twiterering or emails or perhaps youtubing sissies on the go and in this day and age of technology where every gadget is becoming mobile or on the go, if one still is to use a wireless connection sitting in a home, one might be in blaspheme of the wireless concept plus wireless is for mobility not for higher data rates. So perhaps the caps on wireless is make one stick to what's wireless is best for along with making profits. Besides, you, yourself said the wireless is also expensive in developed countries but they can easily afford it unlike here which also makes one think that WTF is PTA for? pretending to be protecting the consumer's rights....

Posted

There in those countries, DSLs are also capped. And wireless broadband also comes under such discussions, ''broad spectrum of consideration''. The only complain I have for Pakistani ISPs especially for PTCL and LDN, their services are not stable, ''load shedding destroyed; corruption employed''. But at this moment, I am a satisfied customer of a well known Wimax company. Although, their upload speed is not so good, download speed is not so nitro, and no unlimited internet unless you pay more, their network is pretty stable no matter what they charge for it, I am happy. B)

Posted (edited)

i feel your pain. We (and other like minded ppl) should get together and do something about it. We could get an STM-1 fiber from

PTCL or TWA and distribute it via wireless WiFi using something like the TP-Link TL-WA5210G High Power Wireless Outdoor Cpe

which is around Rs. 5k.

Edited by Dogar

Posted

i feel your pain. We (and other like minded ppl) should get together and do something about it. We could get an STM-1 fiber from

PTCL or TWA and distribute it via wireless WiFi using something like the TP-Link TL-WA5210G High Power Wireless Outdoor Cpe

which is around Rs. 5k.

I always wondered about that. I mean... bypass the ISP, get a direct pipe to the online world. And resell locally within the community. Lots of ka-ching and good service!!

Posted (edited)

I always wondered about that. I mean... bypass the ISP, get a direct pipe to the online world. And resell locally within the community. Lots of ka-ching and good service!!

Is it a gas pipeline! :rolleyes:

Edited by blogger
1 person likes this

Posted

For you it is... :P

Posted

what about cost...?

Posted

what about cost...?

As I said - "I always wondered" :)

If there are community-based ISPs around the world, then I'm sure the idea could be usable in Pakistan as well. Ofcourse, we'll have to bear the cost - but if you can buy a wifi BTS, and mass-offer, then.... I mean... something could be done. I haven't thought from the cost perspective, TBH.

Posted

Community based ISPs? Man there are communities which are working without any central command/superiority, sharing equal amounts of profits regardless if one person is a charted accountant and handling the finance and other is delivery guy...

well, keep on wondering :)

Plus I would never go for wireless... never grabbed the 'feel' of it.

Posted

Well my speed is too much slow then ur`s my lan provider said that they r giving 512 kbps! but m only getting 62kbps :S!

Posted (edited)

Setting up a Co-Op of like minded ppl seems the only way. EIther that or move to ISB and get Nayatel fiber for 27k(onetime)+2k/mo for 7Mb unlimited (from 8pm to 8am), full Symmetric (same upload as down) broadband :) oh the bliss!

If any like-minded ppl in DHA-Lahore want to get together for such a venture do let me know and we can work something out.

As per my calculations setting up a W-ISP, procuring symetric backbone bandwidth via fiber & redistributing via long range (upto 5Km) WiFi links with full symmetric, unadulterated 1Mb connection should cost Rs.900/mo/subscriber with a minimum of 100 users/subsribers or Rs.1200/mb with 20 friends. This is without any contention ratio. If however all the users/friends agree to a 1:2 or 1:4 contention (because not everyone downloads/uploads all the time) then cost can be divided equally OR bandwidth to each user could be multiplied equally

eg. with 1:2 contention (oversubscribe by twice):

for same Rs.900/mo we could increase BW to 2Mb (up/down)

Edited by Dogar