Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wi-tribe: Pathetic service from a pathetic ISP!

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Subtitle: Wi-tribe shamelessly overcharges EXISTING customers for the SAME bandwidth/package!

I’ve been unfortunate enough to be a wi-tribe customer for the last 2yrs. Bought their pathetic 512kbps USB device plan which cost Rs. 1,500/month. Recently, they revised their prices so that now their 512kbps plan costs Rs. 1000/month (http://www.wi-tribe....s/tariff-guide/). What’s more, they introduced a “NEW” pocket modem which is supposedly “more powerful” than the USB device which they used to sell in the beginning.

I was foolish enough to think that being an existing customer of 2 FREAKING YEARS, they would have the decency to automatically revise my monthly invoice to match their latest prices, but I was mistaken! When they emailed me another invoice for Rs. 1500, I emailed their lousy support and asked them to revise my invoice to match their 512kbps plan (Rs. 1,000) and charge me accordingly, but this is how these very smart people responded:

“We regret to inform you that we cannot revise the bill. You can visit the customer care centre to replace your USB device with pocket modem and can select any package from pocket modem. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.”

This is how I replied:

“Thank you for your reply. I also regret being your customer for two years.

I'll visit the customer care center but unfortunately it won't be yours, it will be that of Qubee which is at a 10 minute walking distance from my house on Tariq Road. I'll obtain their device and stop using your service altogether next month. The only reason I'll continue using your service this month is because I purchased scratch cards two months ago and have to utilize them.

New year, BETTER ISP.

For future reference, this is a great way to lose long term customers. Keep it up. Will discourage friends from using your service on public forums based on my personal experience.”

And then one of their very smart representatives had the nerve to call me up to waste my time and repeat the same pathetic non-sense about changing my modem to the new one and then they would be nice enough to switch me over to their Rs. 1,000 plan. What nonsense!

If they think they can overcharge an existing customer simply because he’s using an older USB device, which in itself is also a POCKET MODEM and apparently NOT as powerful as the NEW POCKET MODEM which customers can get for Rs. 1,000/month for the SAME BANDWIDTH, they’re seriously mistaken. Total rip-offs! They think their customers are idiots and can be fooled in this manner. Well think again wi-tribe and maybe hire people who actually have brains to run your organization for a change!

If they think I’m going to walk over to their customer service center and exchange my modem so that they can stop overcharging Rs. 500 for the same pathetic level of service, no chance! If I’m supposed to change my modem to get charged based on their OWEN FREAKING PRICES, then I’ll just get a new modem from A DIFFERENT ISP: namely Qubee. Much easier for me to do. Far easier than it is for you to switch me to your own latest prices.

Well done wi-tribe! Keep up the BAD work and I’m sure you’ll lose a large number of customers this way. You've alerady lost this one! Qubee, you’ve got a new customer!

Guys and gals, based on my own personal experience having been unfortunate enough to be a wi-tribe customer for the last 2 years, I can tell you one thing for sure: WI-TRIBE DOES NOT VALUE ITS EXISTING CUSTOMERS! They expect existing customers to pay Rs. 500 more than their new customers for a mere 512kbps when you can get their 1mbps plan for just Rs. 1,200. Does that make sense to anyone? New customer BEWARE! You've been warned.

Their quality of service is PATHETIC, bandwidth is less than half of their advertised bandwidth even during NON-PEAK HOURS and if you ask their useless tech support reps, they’ll say it’s normal because it’s “shared”. Here’s the latest speedtest result at 3.15pm Karachi: http://www.speedtest.../1687726588.png Would anyone in their right minds even consider paying FIFTEEN HUNDRED RUPEES FOR THIS CRAPPY SERVICE???

In contrast, check out how their Philippines counterparts are doing: http://www.wi-tribe.ph/ Maybe wi-tribe Pakistan can learn a thing or two from Philippinos. But I suppose they just enjoy frustrating their existing customers and providing crappy service because that's the only way they know how to make money.

I would seriously advise new customers to think more than twice before buying this crappy ISP's service. Try Qubee, wateen or even PTCL before you even think about going for wi-tribe's ripoff, lousy service.

I think I've been a reasonable customer. Always paid my bill on time and never complained about crappy service publicly. But I simply cannot tolerate deception and mistreatment of this sort, hence the post. The internet user community and others need to know what to expect.

Edited by johnny98

Posted

Wireless Internet services are jokes .(Full Stop)

Posted

Wireless Internet services are jokes .(Full Stop)

Maybe add "in Pakistan" before your full stop. ;)

Posted

This is strange if they can not upgrade their server for old devices. What a lame excuse that ''get your old USB device replaced with new USB modem''.

Posted

Could you do yourself a favor? Do not return their device, and do not pay bill. They will come to you one day, begging for mercy.

Posted

^ If you dont want to return device,

Call help line, ask them to disconnect your service, clearing all dues. This will save you from further billing.

Posted (edited)

This is strange if they can not upgrade their server for old devices. What a lame excuse that ''get your old USB device replaced with new USB modem''.

Yes, it's pathetic and lame. The thing is, they don't need to upgrade anything on their servers! :) All they need to update is the amount that they charge which is as simple as a few clicks and is a simple billing matter. Nothing technical about it. Bear in mind they don't offer anything over 512kbps on their usb AND pocket modems, so there's no change there. It's the exact same bandwidth but apparently according to wi-tribe's genuis minds, people who subscribed to their "old" packages with their "USB" devices need to pay more.

They just want unsuspecting customers like me who subscribed 2 years ago to keep paying at the original billing rate of Rs. 1500. That's why, as a protest I shall under no circumstances get their new device. Why get a NEW device for the SAME OLD SHI**Y service and as a HUGE FAVOR, they'll then start charging you Rs. 500 less??? Total nonsense!

Edited by johnny98

Posted (edited)

Could you do yourself a favor? Do not return their device, and do not pay bill. They will come to you one day, begging for mercy.

Good suggestion. I have exactly the same thing in mind. Their device isn't going anywhere and in fact I explicitly mentioned in one of my emails to their useless support that it's quite easy for me to smash it into bits and throw it out the window and get a new device from Qubee or others. I'll just subscribe to the new service, put wi-tribe's device somewhere and forget about where I kept it. ;)

One customer will probably not make much of a difference to these people but it should teach them a lesson regarding how to NOT treat their existing, long term customers!

Edited by johnny98

Posted

The difference between a good and a bad ISP is merely customer service. Wireless in Pakistan is indeed crap because of PTA limitations at the behest of PTCL.

10/10 on your response to Wi-tribe and decision to move to another ISP.

Posted

They will send ''Ghundey'' to get their device and bill. These witribe modems are very expensive and company gives these to customers because these are insured. Read the price of witribe's Wi-Fi modem and it was round about Rs 8000. The quality of these modems is very high. The refundable activation charges which they take from every customer is the insurance money for modem.

Posted (edited)

They will send ''Ghundey'' to get their device and bill. These witribe modems are very expensive and company gives these to customers because these are insured. Read the price of witribe's Wi-Fi modem and it was round about Rs 8000. The quality of these modems is very high. The refundable activation charges which they take from every customer is the insurance money for modem.

Where will they send those "ghundas" to? I changed my residence a while back and forgot to update my address with them. LOL!

Before subscribing to wi-tribe, I used to have worldcall evdo (also USB device) connection and was never able to return it to their customer care center or representative who offered to come to my house to collect it and refund around Rs. 1500. They never sent any "ghunday" and in fact a few months later called me to offer waiver of all dues if I decided to resume using their service. Their device is still lying around somewhere (God knows where) and I'll probably return it some day to get the refund because that suits me.

As for the ghundas, if they do arrive, the'll be met with even bigger ghundas at least 3 times the number in which they send them ready to do some izzat afzai and khaatir tuwazu for their benefit. "Ghundas" will be dealt with quite effectively so much so that their pants will no longer be dry by the time we let them go (if you know what I mean). :)

Secondly, thanks for reminding me of the refundable charges (if any). I'll confirm this with their support and only for the purpose of obtaining the same, will return in say about 3 or 4 months. In any case, the modem will be returned when I'm ready to return it, not on their terms. This is to thank them for overcharging me Rs. 500 every month for the last several months since they updated their prices. Bear in mind that items such as USB modems are very easy to lose/misplace. I think that's where the refundable "security deposit" kicks in. Never heard anything about ghunday before but if that does happen, violence will only beget more violence and ghundas who bother to show up will get a taste of their own medicine and will discover a whole new meaning of ghunda-gurdi once we get through with them. ;)

In contrast, if a shareef representative visits to obtain the defunct device he will be offered a cup of tea/coffee (his choice) and biscuits (each adequately priced at Rs. 15/biscuit if he selects an old packet or Rs. 10/biscuit if he picks up a new one) and when he's finished, will be turned away empty handed with utmost respect and good wishes. :)

Edited by johnny98

Posted (edited)

UPDATE: Just received an email from wi-tribe this evening notifying all 512kbps users that they have been upgraded to endless usage at Rs. 1,000/- per month. :) Not sure if my emails to them including a link to this post after their blunt refusal to charge me according to the prices listed on their site played a role in their decision or maybe they had planned to announce this anyway, but in any case if it means existing users like me who were using their 512kbps plan with a 15GB cap for Rs. 1,500/month will now get charged Rs. 1,000/month (as per the prices already mentioned on their site), it's GREAT NEWS!

See image of email here. Name/email hidden for obvious reasons: http://screencast.com/t/MMhtyMrq2L

Will still need to confirm with their support if this applies even to users who have their "old" USB devices, but apparently it does, and if that's true then I'll post a thank you message to wi-tribe for listening to their customers and treating them fairly even if they did cause a great deal of frustration earlier.

Edited by johnny98

Posted

"Endless*" :lol::D

<_<

Posted (edited)

Here's some more: http://www.wi-tribe....t-rs-1000month/

Johnny98, could you do a speedtest now and share the result?

Edited by shaheerk

Posted

"Endless*" :lol::D

<_<

Actually no cap on downloads but have fair usage policy and the fair usage policy is ''For service experience with ‘endless packages’, parameters will change and speed will be reduced upon utilizing 30GB on 512Kbps endless package & 40GB on 2 Mbps endless+ package in any given month.''

Posted (edited)

Actually no cap on downloads but have fair usage policy and the fair usage policy is ''For service experience with ‘endless packages’, parameters will change and speed will be reduced upon utilizing 30GB on 512Kbps endless package & 40GB on 2 Mbps endless+ package in any given month.''

To be honest, I don't really care about the volume cap. Even endless volume is of no significance to me as I only consume around 8-10GB anyway. What matters the most is the price, particularly if they're charging SOME customers MORE than others.

Apparently, this change or in their words "upgrade" is only for the month of January. Nice gimmick. Here it is in their own words in reply to my email inquiry: http://screencast.com/t/HCeKB6Cl7k

But my question is: why would they put up a HUGE landing page on their site (see link posted by shaheerk above) which says Rs. 1000 PER MONTH and email exsting customers saying "that today onwards..."? There's absolutely no mention of "in January" anywhere in the email or on their website. Does this appear strange to anyone? Ethical or honest? Or false advertising with an aim to deceive and mislead? If what they said in their email is correct, they should've at least bothered to put in fine print somewhere stating "this offer is valid for the month of Jan only!" Or maybe I missed it...?

Wow! And I thought wi-tribe was ready to mend its ways and charge all 512kbps customers fairly and equally regardless of the freaking device they were using. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case and they appear to be determined to charge Rs. 1500 from Feb. As a result, I am going to create "my own world" but with Qubee.

Edited by johnny98

Posted

To be honest, I don't really care about the volume cap. Even endless volume is of no significance to me as I only consume around 8-10GB anyway. What matters the most is the price, particularly if they're charging SOME customers MORE than others.

Apparently, this change or in their words "upgrade" is only for the month of January. Nice gimmick. Here it is in their own words in reply to my email inquiry: http://screencast.com/t/HCeKB6Cl7k

And I thought wi-tribe was ready to mend its ways and charge all 512kbps customers fairly and equally regardless of the freaking device they were using. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case and they appear to be determined to charge Rs. 1500 from Feb. As a result, I am going to create "my own world" but with Qubee.

Check your wi-tribe account and let me know how much volume they have given to you.

Posted (edited)

30GB: http://screencast.com/t/baiso6xGYQ

But once again, like I said earlier I'm not worried about the volume cap. ;)

Good thing I emailed them to confirm and didn't fall for the trick as their email was meant to mislead customers into believing they would be charged Rs. 1000/MONTH from "today onwards". That's what PER MONTH means. EVERY month, not just one particular month unless they explicitly mention any particular month in their ad.

Don't know about you guys, but at least I didn't expect deception and dishonesty of this sort from wi-tribe on top of their previous ploy to get Rs. 500 more from their existing customers (see first post above) but I guess that's the way people do business here in Pakistan. :rolleyes:

Or let's give them the benefit of the doubt, eh? Maybe their marketing team FORGOT to mention January while creating the ad and email notification. ;)

But on second thought, check out this email from December 2011 in which they notified all customers of a similar special offer. http://screencast.com/t/vXuwC8ji

Notice anything different? In other words, the name of a particular month?

GOTCHA!

Edited by johnny98

Posted

So, ''sodaai'' considers 30 GB as ''endless''. I thought it was actually endless.

Posted

So, ''sodaai'' considers 30 GB as ''endless''. I thought it was actually endless.

Yes, but try to look at the bigger picture as well. Notice the discrepancy in their emails which I've tried to highlight in my previous post.

Posted (edited)

Apparently, my emails to wi-tribe's support did have some sort of impact at their end as I just noticed the following "terms and conditions" on their site regarding dongle users: http://screencast.com/t/Qg0VswfK

Terms & Conditions:

1. All 512Kbps USB Dongle users will be upgraded to Endless Volume and will continue to be charged at Rs.1500 per month unless converted to Pocket Modem

2. Device upgrade from USB Dongle to Pocket Modem will be free of charge

But here's the point I was trying to make earlier: Service costs LESS after a device UPGRADE, but Rs. 500 MORE with the DOWNGRADED, OLDER version in their own words! ROTFL is all I can say! :lol:

Edited by johnny98

Posted

This is messed up. So - the 512k/endless volume is January-only?

Why do they say "this month on"?

:/

Posted

This is messed up. So - the 512k/endless volume is January-only?

Why do they say "this month on"?

:/

That's what I'm trying to figure out. But as per the response I got via email, it seems that it's a marketing gimmick. If you're also a wi-tribe customer, you could call them up or email them and if you do, do share their response with us.

Personally, I'll be moving to Qubee in a few days.

Posted

Ha. Another addition to their "terms and conditions". They just added this as it wasn't there yesterday:

"3. All customers subscribing in January will continue to enjoy this offer until they unsubscribe or convert to a different package"

Posted

What I can understand from why they are referring you to replace the USB dongle with USB modem is that dongles do not receive signals very well. You have to struggle hard to find an appropriate location for dongle to make it receive signals with low noise and high RSSI values, if you are living in an area where coverage is poor. On the other hand, receiver for a USB modem is large in size and it has very good reception for signals. This can be the reason they have discontinued providing USB dongles to new customers and they are also forcing old customers to switch over to new modems by making them pay according to the old rates. (Market strategy)