Nayatel coming to Lahore, Faisalabad and Karachi in future...

17 posts in this topic

Posted

http://tribune.com.pk/story/321913/against-all-odds-discontentment-leading-to-entrepreneurial-genius/

KARACHI: In 1997, three friends – all of them unhappy with their government jobs – decided to launch their own business and opened a small computer hardware store in Islamabad. The business, which has now become one of the fastest growing companies in Pakistan, is a strong example of country’s potential for entrepreneurial success.

NayaTel, that has a workforce of over 500 and revenues touching $10 million, was ranked second in Pakistan Fast Growth 25 – a report on Pakistan’s fastest growing companies by AllWorld Network; co-founded by Professor Michael Porter of Harvard Business School.

An average 81% growth in revenues between 2007 and 2009 – and a whopping 1076% revenue growth in 2009 alone – helped the company secure second place in the aforesaid list of 25 fastest growing companies in Pakistan last year.

The Islamabad-based DSL broadband service provider, according to CEO Wahaj us Siraj, is already covering 90% areas of Islamabad and business areas of Rawalpindi. It currently serves more than 10,000 customers, Siraj said, providing ultra broadband internet, modern telephone and digital video (cable TV) services to both business and home users.

NayaTel’s clientele, the CEO said, is increasing at around 30% per year.

The company, that claims to be Pakistan’s first fibre to the user (FTTU) network – 21st century architecture for delivering multiple services (Voice, Video and Data) to the customer premises – is now planning to launch its operations in Lahore and possibly in Karachi or Faisalabad within two years.

Siraj’s journey to NayaTel started in 1997 when he and his university-time friends Saad and Aqeel, came up with the idea of becoming entrepreneurs. What made them unhappy were their meagre salaries at their government jobs where under-the-table income was the only way to make quick money – something they didn’t want to do.

Therefore, they started a small business, a computer hardware store, with an investment of Rs300,000 – to raise that money, Saad sold his (Suzuki) car; Aqeel contributed Rs100,000 in cash and Siraj gave his PC to the company.

In 1999, Siraj said, they acquired a small satellite internet company for Rs2 million and expanded it in 2002 by launching broadband internet service and named it Micronet – which NayaTel is a sister concern of.

In 2004, came a turning moment when the three brain stormed with the idea of a modern telecom network to cater to the growing demand, and bandwidth needs of the country – they launched NayaTel.

Launching NayaTel was a well-thought plan, as the trio envisioned which direction the industry was moving.

Currently, Pakistan has about 1.4 million broadband users and that number is increasing every day, Siraj said. Internet users in Pakistan are estimated at around 20 million and cable TV connections at around 12 million, he added.

“With the increase in literacy and a higher percentage of younger population,” Siraj said, “internet users are also increasing thus creating an opportunity for broadband to expand.”

Talking about further expansion, Siraj said, they have a vision to become Pakistan’s largest company with a brand new optical fibre based network in next five years – something that requires huge investment.

Despite strong revenues, increasing subscribers and potential for growth; the company might find it hard to achieve its goals in the targeted time mainly because of investors concerns regarding the country.

Foreign investors are hesitant to invest their money into the business, Siraj said. Lack of security as well as corruption at different levels of the government has severely hurt the credibility of the country, he added.

Admitting the company is taking too much time to extend its network to the rest of Pakistan, Siraj said, developing state-of-the-art infrastructure to support their network requires huge funding – which is not easy to do with company’s own revenues.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 16th, 2012.

Posted

Oh finally a good news...Specially to all those who have been a victim of PTCL. Its a pity that here in Pakistan there is always no large variety to choose from. Hope it hits Lahore soon.

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh finally a good news...Specially to all those who have been a victim of PTCL. Its a pity that here in Pakistan there is always no large variety to choose from. Hope it hits Lahore soon.

Admitting the company is taking too much time to extend its network to the rest of Pakistan, Siraj said, developing state-of-the-art infrastructure to support their network requires huge funding – which is not easy to do with company’s own revenues.

How is that PTCL's fault? and what's the point of 'state-of-the-art' fiber when all you have to offer 1 to 7mb and that too, in parts... you know 1mb by day X mb by night ....

PTCL FTW when compared to these ISPs

Posted

How is that PTCL's fault? and what's the point of 'state-of-the-art' fiber when all you have to offer 1 to 7mb and that too, in parts... you know 1mb by day X mb by night ....

PTCL FTW when compared to these ISPs

Thats the exact point here...If there is only 1 ISP and providing Gutor services and "Poor Customer support". Then the customer is bounded by the choice and thinks of that only ISP as the best ISP. We need a variety of high end service providing ISPs. So that we can have healthy competition as well as improvement in customer services.

If PTCL starts giving courtesy to its old and existing customers and comes up with something new and working, then things may seems to change.

Like we've been listening rants like the first to introduce this and that...but why aren't they the first in providing better services...Like take IPTV for an instance...If they are the ones to introduce it first in Pakistan then its been 4yrs now since they have upgraded it...No upgrade in EPG, Channel list, add-on etc...Broadband too has been over-priced under the name of quality service.

The area I live in is deprived of a renewed UG-cable for more then 30yrs...They are being paid millions under line rent monthly.... and yet no improvement. This is because no accountability or competition is there to beat the crap out of them...

Not a Rant but just my 4yrs of Experience with this company.

Posted

State of the art doesn't necessarily mean quantity, it also means quality. And - come what may, Nayatel has been one of those ISPs who have a very good customer support system, AND their QoS is mostly consistent.

As far as PTCL is concerned, they're always "first in this, first in that" - and THEN the infrastructure updates follow. By that time, they've messed up quite a few things. Case in point: our DSL connections, and how one day they're fine and the next - not. And if there is a problem, PTCL won't tell you. Nayatel/Micronet does (cause they told me my exchange/area was problematic).

If I can get dual play with a decent installation cost, I'll switch to Nayatel without thinking. I've used Micronet before, but had to switch cause of the TV. Now that Nayatel is in my area, I'd love to switch to the TV thing (only) but the switching costs aren't exactly encouraging. For me, atleast.

1 person likes this

Posted

That makes perfect sense what you both said.

But would that still be true for nayatel (QoS and CS)if lets say, nayatel starts operating in 500 cities like PTCL does? Would PTCL still be pathetic the way it is, had it been operating in a single city?

I am not a PTCL lobbyist and I know PTCL is pathetic when it comes to PTCL Vs. PTCL but I also know that PTCL operates and provides voice and data services over 500 cities and even villages and towns. And with that sort of scale, things are bound to get messed up or over looked regardless of who's fault it is or not.

MBL started its internet services back in '02 or '03 and gathered profits, laid down its fiber in some parts of ISB and started NTL..... would that be possible for MBL without using PTCL's infrastructure?

Talk about CS stuff? when you really have QoS, who needs CS? when you have CS that mean there is or will be an issue with QoS. and to me CSs in PK are just about manipulation. if your good at manipulation, you have a better CS image.

For example

And if there is a problem, PTCL won't tell you. Nayatel/Micronet does (cause they told me my exchange/area was problematic).

I guessing the problem didn't get fixed immediately and took its time be fixed right?

It was very easy for Nayatel/Micronet CS to tell you the 'truth' the exchange/area was problematic and blame it on PTCL if further inquired, cause exchanges are owned by PTCL and customer feel's satisfied with the 'truth' of CS instead of saying "I don't give f*** whether an exchange/area is faulty or whom is it belong to, I bought a service from you, I am paying it with every bit of profit + taxes to you and because of you, f***ing fix the problem".

Talk about competition? Compere all the ISPs in PK for what they are providing how/how much they are providing against your buck closely, you will find there's always something missing one way or another in every ISP. and that something 'missing' actually kills the competition by balancing what is being lacked from one ISP to another to be called as competition besides, there are less ISPs in PK then the fingers in your both hands so its not far from possible to join hands when and if they decide to... I mean you really don't think for NTL to extend its services to 3 new major cities when they themselves admitted that they don't have sufficient funding to make their own state-of-the-art 'fiber' infrastructure. If they still were go ahead with their plans for expansion without sufficient fundings, who do you think they will be using the existing infrastructure of to start with? :)

And why not? after all, in the end we, the consumers are just money milking cows to them aren't we? So whats stopping them to join hands and kill the existing competition or whatever it is cause their end objective is same....

/end of rant.

Posted (edited)

The Islamabad-based DSL broadband service provider, according to CEO Wahaj us Siraj, is already covering 90% areas of Islamabad and business areas of Rawalpindi. It currently serves more than 10,000 customers, Siraj said, providing ultra broadband internet, modern telephone and digital video (cable TV) services to both business and home users.

Really?? :blink:

Correction: covering 90% areas having only 10% population of Islamabad.

Edited by ShuAK

Posted

Is it in sectors like G-9, I-9?

Posted

MBL started its internet services back in '02 or '03 and gathered profits, laid down its fiber in some parts of ISB and started NTL..... would that be possible for MBL without using PTCL's infrastructure?

Nayatel or Puranatel can't lay its own independent fibers, copper in city like Islamabad, anymore. It appears to be illegal according to CDA, now. So, any company who wants to run its landline type any service, its needs infrastructure of PTCL. Thanks to CDA for protecting this city from being dug and ditched and ruined by every ''aeray-gaeray''.

(Correct me if I am wrong)

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by blogger

Posted

rather investing on cables or depending on ptcl's creepy infrastructure i think these sort of small ISPs should have start cityWide wifi high speed internet and make it pay per use or run at monthly subscriptions - this wired broadband has failed in Pakistan due to slow speeds, bad infrastructure

Posted

Is it in sectors like G-9, I-9?

G-9: Markaz, G-9/3 and I & T center (Not in residential area of G-9/1 and G-9/4)

I9: Partially Available (Only 2,3 & Markaz)

http://www.nayatel.com/coverage_area.php

Posted

Nayatel or Puranatel can't lay its own independent fibers, copper in city like Islamabad, anymore. It appears to be illegal according to CDA, now. So, any company who wants to run its landline type any service, its needs infrastructure of PTCL. Thanks to CDA for protecting this city from being dug and ditched and ruined by every ''aeray-gaeray''.

(Correct me if I am wrong)

Backbone is PTCL/TW. Rest they use there own infrastructure, for instance they want to come to Askari 14, they won't dig up e.t.c they'll use PTCL pipes & route there fibre through there.

Posted

So when its coming to lahore i am waiting as the services looks really great.

Posted

yea as LDN is wrapping up so i dont wana go to ptcl in any case....

Posted

Call 'em and ask.

Posted

Confirmed from Sales they will be launching in next 2 months in Lahore and Faisalabad. Initial areas not confirmed.

1 person likes this