• Announcements

• Intermittent usage issues   08/31/2015

If you are experiencing intermittent issues with using the website, do the following: Clear your browser cache.Clear your browser cookies, especially all those relating to this website.Login again and use as normal.If issues still persist, update your web browser to its latest version and try again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nobody Wants to Learn How to Program

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Interesting article...

Link: http://inventwithpyt...how-to-program/

dinosaurcomics.png

Agree or disagree? Comments regarding programming tutorials?

Some very prudent points raised in that article. I think it all boils down to 'instant gratification' syndrome afflicting the fast paced world today.

Posted

Actually, in the current age, thanks to high level language, dynamic programming and declarative languages / DSLs, people can do coding without knowing what the hell is a binary search tree. Most of it is encapsulated by the higher languages. You almost never need to write a sorting algorithm in a higher level language for example - nor do you need to know it. Yes, I am referring to web development and common business apps (non web-dev) that do not rely on anything more than that. With CRUD apps of any sort, you almost always get 'instant gratification'.

In other words, it's become quite easy now. Almost anyone can learn web development given they're wee bit logical and have an incentive to do so.

However, for game programming, simulations, or extreme-performance critical apps run on low-end hardware etc. you do need to know maths, basic physics (though a physics engine can be used), and know quite a bit about popular algorithms and their performance analysis. Although, game development, naturally, is getting easier and easier with time too. This is more so true when micro-optimizations are hidden from the programmer and often unnecessary.

Posted (edited)

Straight answer is... Yes! I do agree.. but at some extent.

This is the "time", taking everything so fast along with it... And it's the "need" in practical field, that do not let even a mature programmer do everything from scratch. If you are a professional, even you choose on the spot either you "need" to start with a new code, or copying another project base to start new, or it's some wizards in graphical environment to start with.

Of course "learning programming" itself is a basic need. But today "specially" web development (and mobile programming too), what it needs only is an interest of a regular "user" who just is too curious to make what he/she is using.

"They don't learn programming" - "They learn (or search) a way to make something they are interested to make"

--- Just like the Green Dinosaur above?

I'll say author is right about the way of teaching. This is the main thing to keep learners interested in what they are supposed or have come to learn. But I'll say that doesn't apply only to programming. To me, this could be a universal truth all fields.

But the title of the article sure is a "hyperbole", as he too admitted.

Hi Zed, I’m Al, the author of article. I’ll admit the title is hyperbole. There are people who want to learn programming for the sake of programming, just like there are people who like learning math even though they don’t see immediate practical applications.

There is something I'll disagree that he only responded to justify his own side of the opinion. This is not true that everyone of them wants to learn programming only for the sake of programming. Many are (and will be) doing it for purpose.

"Who ones of you requested this section "Coder's Corner" on WP"? And for what?

This is the question which can also be answered for the topic being discussed...

Edit: Didn't know that this topic's been idle for about a month now... :o

Edited by KA

Posted

Whatever the method is, whether someone want to learn programming because he/she want to solve some problem (i.e., create a software for his/her own needs). Or learn programming just for the sake of programming. I happened to have learned for the sake of programming. In fact, I was very curious on how to program and amazed that "I can program". After learning and creating many "test softwares", I was like "what should I do practical that could benefit me?" (Ah that young age of teenage. :) ). Any way, over the course of years, I created many programs that benefit me in my daily life. In fact, still whenever I need any solution to a problem, I can create "quick software solution" within half-an-hour or two.

Personal computers are general purpose computing machines. The benefits of learning the programming are limitless because then you can take full advantage of computers.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm taking a couple of programming classes online at Udacity, and it's been great so far. Highly recommended for everyone to learn a bit about the machines they use.