Joining telephone wires to avoid DSL noise ?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

AoA,

I have a main telephone wire (hard black one) coming from pol and from there I want to connect my 3 internal 2 pair telephone wires(white).

So to show in diagram it looks like this

Main telephone wire

|
|
|
Joint X
/ | \
/ | \
/ | \
X Y Z

Now here X is my telephone wire which is splitted in multiple telephone connections in internal house wiring

Y is again a telephone wire but doesn't go in internal house wiring ( and for backup purpose)

Z is my DSL connection wire, to which I want to connect my modem so my other X,Y telephone wires work without any noise and my Z wire gives me best performance on DSL.

At the moment I have joined them all togather on joint X ... so when my DSL is on I get noise in my telephone wires...

Could you please guide me how to join them (X.Y,Z to main wire) in such a way that they make seprate connection to main telephone wire without having any internal connection ?

Thanks.

Maverick

Posted

Main line should come into the splitter. From the splitter, the Phone wire will go to telephones in your home. The Modem/DSL wire will go to the DSL gateway device.

Main wire --------> Splitter

Splitter ----DSL-----> Modem/gateway

Splitter ----Phone---> Telephones in home.

Posted

use a splitter, otherwise there is no solution to kill that noise.

Posted

First of all, I wouldn't advise you such setup unless your phone line is highly perfect as I am not really sure about the noise factor but such set up would be incremental in line attenuation making the sluggish browsing, sort of lagging while making connections to peers in torrent clients or while browsing, possible disconnections while trying to maximize your allowed bandwidth by downloading and browsing simultaneously ...

NOTE: these are my personal experience as I had done such experiment in the past what you're about to... but hey, there's no harm in experimenting right? :)

I would also advise you to not to use the normal 'dabi' right after the black wire and the splitter after that... if you can joint the wire directly by using solder to make joint as solid as it can be.

For noise, make sure that if the noise is after the set up or before the set up by hooking up your phone directly to the black wire even without the DSL and then making a trial set up configuration like you drew.

If the noise is before the set up then its clear that your line faulty and you know what to do or who to call :)

if its after the set up then its probably due to a somewhat loose joint or a small thread is the wire the touching the other wire which it should not.

The black wire has two copper wires in it and its generally not labeled for -ive and +ive ... but for the sake of avoiding cross touching of wires just assume one copper end as -ive and the other +ive .. and strictly remember an follow that throughout the set up.

Let me try to draw it for you my suggested version of your set up...

4NZWP.jpg

It rather difficult process and requires bit of skill but it will retain maximum signal strenght for 2 phones and a DSL because of soldering... my recommendation.

dqZNw.jpg

This is very easy process and will work but the chances of low signal strength and noise will be higher as at every box and splitter, there is a 'touch' connection between male and female jacks. slight movement, vibration or displacement of this wire set up could cause problems sooner or later. not advised but you can try it first as it easy.

Good luck :)

Posted

@Faisal your 2nd approach is what @MZC has also suggested... and thats also true using this approach will increase noise. I am already using your 1st approach and it is causing noise in telephone wires when DSL is on.

Is there any SPlitter ( not any regular one , but with DSL noise filter) available which will take two copper wires as input and then give out put in RJ11 female jack or even twso outputs where I could make connection with screws ?

I tried local township market but there I only found normal regualr splitter which will not serve the purpose here and the DSL splitter takes RJ11 jack ..meaning I would have to make extra joint on copper wire with 2pair telephone wire piece and that will go into splitter as main source ...

these are too many joints...........

Posted

First, you have to determine the origin of the 'noise'. Like

Faisal said, isolate the black wire from the pole and test it

with a telephone. Is it noise free ?. If not, you have to get

that fixed first.

If the main line is noise-free, then you investigate down the

line, one-by-one.

PTCL splitters come in all varieties. I got one (rectangular

in shape) which generated a buzzing sound back into the

telephone OUT. It was a light, POS splitter. So I returned it

and kept at it, until I found a noise-free splitter (Alcatel).

If you are doing crimping of jacks at-home, make sure that

you are doing it right. Sometimes the crimping tool itself is

worn out, or you are forcing the copper points too deep

into the plastic, or not far enough. You can check with the

main line, to make sure it's not the jacks themselves.

Like any good investigator, you just keep at it, eliminating

all possible suspects, one at a time. And I would strongly

advise the type-II arrangement, as called by Asad, Faisal

and MZC.

Use a splitter, because as one guy explained, you don't

want to give raw, analog signals to your PC in the first place.

Let the splitter split the two signals and give unto each,

what it needs.

Sheikh 'Give Unto Caeser...' Chilli

Posted

@Faisal your 2nd approach is what @MZC has also suggested... and thats also true using this approach will increase noise. I am already using your 1st approach and it is causing noise in telephone wires when DSL is on.

Is there any SPlitter ( not any regular one , but with DSL noise filter) available which will take two copper wires as input and then give out put in RJ11 female jack or even twso outputs where I could make connection with screws ?

I tried local township market but there I only found normal regualr splitter which will not serve the purpose here and the DSL splitter takes RJ11 jack ..meaning I would have to make extra joint on copper wire with 2pair telephone wire piece and that will go into splitter as main source ...

these are too many joints...........

First of all, you have to understand the DSL is possible with a phone because the line is virtually split in to two paths ( at your exchange with relevant, required industrial equipment) so we could use phone and DSL at the same time or two phone st same time OR even TWO DSLs at same time on same line. What you're trying to is to add a third path without relevant, required industrial equipment. I am not really sure adding a third virtual path is even possible technically with industrial equipments at exchanges let alone what you're trying at achieve at home without knowing if 3rd virtual path is possible and that too, without the equipments. So its all an experiment. and like Shiekh_Chillie said, you have to check and investigate for every step for max results which ever the set up you choose to follow.

Try answering the questions.

1. Did you first determined for the level of noise by directly hooking the black wire to phone? what was the result?

2. Did you first determined the line stats (The SNR and attenuation) by directly hooking up the line to DSL modem without the phone? What were the stats? Can you posts a screen shot of the stats?

3. you said you were already using the first set-up (which I recommend), did you just make simple joints left it as is OR did you solder the joints and then shielded them too with tape?

As for the kind of splitter you're looking for, I am not sure if you can find such BUT what you can do is to replace the second box by splitter to the second set-up and see if it reduces noise (Buy the Alcatel splitter like Sheikh_Chillie suggested, the splitter provided by PTCL are usually 3rd grade quality and likely to add more noise instead of eliminating it)

Here's what this set-up will look like on diagram.

ww2Rt.jpg

Posted

In my current setup (connecting 3 wires to main black telephone wire by NOT using using solder) I dont get any noise if DSL is NOT on .

I only get noise in my telephone when DSL is on, so I think may be connecting noise filter splitter my problem will be resolved.

Thanks guys for your help.