What is the best ointment in open wounds?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the best ointment in open wounds?

Don't know why do I get wounds so often nowadays.

Please suggest some best ointments available in Pakistan regardless of price.

Posted

Depends on how big a wound it is.

Posted

not that big :) otherwise I would have visited docs instead of WiredPakistan.

Posted

Wash with clean water (preferably saline solution) and use some disinfectant like Dettol or Pyodine. Use appropriate sized bandage to keep wound clean. Wash wound and replace bandage daily until healed.

If the wound is deep or came in contact with mud/manure, make sure to get a Tetanus shot from nearby clinic/hospital.

Posted (edited)

not that big :) otherwise I would have visited docs instead of WiredPakistan.

Yep, Google Docs are the best ..!! :P

if you are getting so many wounds, get your blood test for clotting factors and Vit k deficiency. that could be serious.

Edited by farhan_ds
1 person likes this

Posted

i am so sacred people look like zombies when have these on thier faces

man don't rely on internet tips you should visit your doc and get your blood test first

Posted

If you bleed often, then your platelets count must be low. Get your blood test done asap. And don't rely on internet, go consult a doctor.

Posted

Mycitracin working awsome. Its price is Rs.92 and its a combination of three antibiotic medicines which are Bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin. This medication works by killing germs (bacteria) on the skin.

Moreover for pain I took diclofenac sodium tabs.

Went to doc where almost 20 people were waiting for their turns. Can't wait so long for the doc in extense loadshedding....

Posted

refer to a doctor....always

Posted

refer to a doctor....always

'

this is exactly i am scratching my head for.........

Went to doc where almost 20 people were waiting for their turns. Can't wait so long for the doc in extense loadshedding....

every hospital has emergency rooms for immediate medical attention.... ever heard of it

by the why you are heading to doctors office, where they only give out suggestion and equipment wise generally they got no more that three low tech equipment like stethoscope. thermometer and blood pressure machine....... common sense goes long way man......

Posted

You are right but I am quite allergic to emegency room type of service. Now don't ask why.

Anyways thanks for the comments and my problem is resolved now.

Posted

If you are asking for an Over the counter ointment then Polyfax is the best option. Otherwise in case of any serious wounds which won't heal then do visit a doctor.

Posted

Mycitracine is an antibiotic and people sometime over use it. Usage of such ointments should be done carefully. For example if the doctor suggests that you apply the ointment twice a day for 4 days then you do exactly that: apply the cream 12 hours apart at exact times for 4 days. Visit the doctor again before the last application to see if he recommends an extension to the course. Don't start using this cream without a doctor prescribing it, and even then make sure that the doctor is not writing it in a hurry. Ask him/her if it is really necessary. As I understand, misuse or continued anitibiotic usage causes a loss of effectiveness of the medicine. Even the doctors are unreliable when it comes to advice on antibiotic usage. Usage of antibiotic medicine is a highly sensitive and risky step and everybody should learn how to go about it in the most proper way.

http://www.safemedication.com/safemed/MedicationTipsTools/WhatYouShouldKnow/UsingAntibioticsWisely.aspx

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075

Posted

Since many things have already being said in this thread. I thought to add my two cents. Depends on the health of the person and condition of the wound. For a simple wound, just wash it with mild soup (ordinary soup), it will remove a lot of debris (dirt etc.) and more than 98% of bacterias. Then rinse it with clean water.

Then you must dry the wound completely. Water should NOT be left inside the wound. Air dry is a good option but it will take a lot of time. Therefore, dry it with clean but good quality cotton ball or cotton bandage, get it from the nearest medical store.

Now the best next step is to pour enough Tincture of Iodine (also available on medical stores). Do not shy away from applying it in good amount. It can produce "yelling" and "cursing" but don't let it stop you covering the whole wound with it. The good thing is that it kill almost all bacteria and other stuff. However, the bad thing is that it slows down the healing of wound. For example, If naturally a wound will take like 4 hours to seal itself then it may take about 1 day to seal up when using Tincture of Iodine. However, manufacturers usually put glue in Tincture of Iodine for helping "closing" the wound and stop the blood.

Then apply clean cotton bandage on the wound and change it after every 6 to 8 hours (more often in wet season). I don't put cotton ball (learned from my own experiences) on wound before applying cotton bandage as it just sticks to your wound and it (cotton ball) becomes difficult to remove later on. When the "brown crust" form on the wound then stop putting bandage on the wound.

If the area of the wound swells up then go see the a good doctor. And please do NOT take anti-biotic on your own. Let a (good) doctor decide for anti-biotic and the length of the course.

Please note, if you got wound on road, or near dirt/soil (cricket ground), or near animals, even in home, or on your foot, or got a wound from a rust iron, (especially if you got wound on road) then you MUST get a shot of tetanus, immediately. It's a fatal and ugly disease. Do not wait for it. Do it within an hour or so. I usually ask for "10 year tetanus shot". However, I am not sure that it will work for next ten years or not.

P.S. If wound is deep then go see a doctor and get stitches.