• Announcements

• Intermittent usage issues   08/31/2015

If you are experiencing intermittent issues with using the website, do the following: Clear your browser cache.Clear your browser cookies, especially all those relating to this website.Login again and use as normal.If issues still persist, update your web browser to its latest version and try again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

converting ceiling fan AC to DC , HOW ?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Assalam o alaikum

any body know how to convert a AC ceiling fan to a DC ceiling Fan by changing its motor ?

I just want to know the expenses and procedure , Bcz to run the Ac ceiling fan thru inverter has a massive energy loss in conversion from Dc to Ac (thru inverter) so i want to run fans on pure DC .

I know DC fans are available in the market too But i want to CONVERT the ac motor into dc .

Any one have done this ? if so please share .

Jazak ALLAH

sharing is everything .

Posted

A DC motor requires permanent magnets + a rotatable coil. The permanent magnets may be conventional permanent magnets or electro-magents.

Although It is not impossible to make a DC ceiling fan from an AC fan, but you need a machine shop to incorporate permanent magnets to the rotating part of the fan.

You will need to modify the windings on the stationary part (use thicker wires with less no of turns) and you will need to make a new rotating part in which you will incorporate permanent magnets.

Better get a fan motor pulled from some old car radiator fan, make something to mount the blades and hang the assembly with roof.

1 person likes this

Posted

383282532_197.jpg

There are the DC fan caps

1 person likes this

Posted

hmm even though you manage to get one but still the invertor/UPS you are using is giving AC output...how are you going to Give DC to your fan with the same setup.. Better get those chargeable fans that costs around 3k or something...they will work for you well.

1 person likes this

Posted

@ijaz Ahmed thanks for the information , yes i know the difference between a DC and AC motor but in other words i wanted to ask that how i can CHANGE the entire AC motor of fan and place a DC motor in place of an ac motor , is it possible ?

@mazahyr i m not using UPS / inverter , Fan supply will b purely a DC .Actually This setup is not for my home , this will b placed on one of my agricultural lands (remote area) where no electricity is available - there are 3 rooms , generator and a few energy savers .

m planning to put solar panels there (as technology of wind turbine is expensive IN PAKISTAN) you can get a 100 watts wind turbine in over 125,000 !!!! where in india same thing is less than 50 thousand Pakistani Rupees .

Last thing i was asking about ceiling fan and that "ceiling" fan costs around 8 to 9000 Rupees in Pakistan . chargeable fans are not made to run 24 / 7 .

Posted

@ijaz Ahmed thanks for the information , yes i know the difference between a DC and AC motor but in other words i wanted to ask that how i can CHANGE the entire AC motor of fan and place a DC motor in place of an ac motor , is it possible ?

@mazahyr i m not using UPS / inverter , Fan supply will b purely a DC .Actually This setup is not for my home , this will b placed on one of my agricultural lands (remote area) where no electricity is available - there are 3 rooms , generator and a few energy savers .

m planning to put solar panels there (as technology of wind turbine is expensive IN PAKISTAN) you can get a 100 watts wind turbine in over 125,000 !!!! where in india same thing is less than 50 thousand Pakistani Rupees .

Last thing i was asking about ceiling fan and that "ceiling" fan costs around 8 to 9000 Rupees in Pakistan . chargeable fans are not made to run 24 / 7 .

-You have to change entire anatomy of AC fan to make it DC fan.

-With solar panels, you do not have to do such thing which you are stating.

-Solar panel will provide DC current. Simply store it in batteries. Invert that current into AC using an inverter (UPS is an inverter so, you can use it with solar panels.). Run AC fans with it.

Posted

Instead of converting, you can create your own DC ceiling fan. Obviously, shape won't be 100% like current ceiling fan but it will work. All you need is a DC motor, a 1.5 feet steel pipe with some hooks. Get a kharadiya and ask him to attach motor with pipe and attack blades in front of motor. He'll take somewhere between Rs .500 ~ Rs. 1000 to do the work. Hook your newly created DC ceiling fan and it will start working. However, the main thing is finding the a DC motor. Which is easy to find rather than building one yourself. You can find DC motor from College Road, Rawalpindi. Similarly, in all cities there is an "electronic market", check your local electronic market and you'll find DC motor there.

Many years ago, I once built a DC fan as a "project". But it was more of a "pedestal fan" (more of a table fan) rather than ceiling fan. Get a good DC motor with good RPM. Attaching fan-blade structure from an existing fan will be more easier. A good kharadiya can do it. Or even a good epoxy can do it. :)

Posted

-You have to change entire anatomy of AC fan to make it DC fan.

-With solar panels, you do not have to do such thing which you are stating.

-Solar panel will provide DC current. Simply store it in batteries. Invert that current into AC using an inverter (UPS is an inverter so, you can use it with solar panels.). Run AC fans with it.

Please understand that converting DC to AC having losses (energy losses) and i dont want those to happen . And yes it IS possible to run ceiling fan without batteries (although i have a battery bank) but it IS possible to run the ceiling fan without betteries and directly with the output from solar panels with a help of a Voltage Regulator (electronic component) form which you will have a regulated output no matter how much voltage is coming from the solar panels , Lets suppose Solar Modules are giving 23 Volts and sometimes 16 volts , this is not a problem if you are getting power to the DC ceiling fan thru a voltage regulator you will only get what you have set (or used the appropriate VR, like 12 volts) these regulators are vastly use in regulated DC power supplies etc)

Posted

Instead of converting, you can create your own DC ceiling fan. Obviously, shape won't be 100% like current ceiling fan but it will work. All you need is a DC motor, a 1.5 feet steel pipe with some hooks. Get a kharadiya and ask him to attach motor with pipe and attack blades in front of motor. He'll take somewhere between Rs .500 ~ Rs. 1000 to do the work. Hook your newly created DC ceiling fan and it will start working. However, the main thing is finding the a DC motor. Which is easy to find rather than building one yourself. You can find DC motor from College Road, Rawalpindi. Similarly, in all cities there is an "electronic market", check your local electronic market and you'll find DC motor there.

Many years ago, I once built a DC fan as a "project". But it was more of a "pedestal fan" (more of a table fan) rather than ceiling fan. Get a good DC motor with good RPM. Attaching fan-blade structure from an existing fan will be more easier. A good kharadiya can do it. Or even a good epoxy can do it. :)

Yes IF it is not possible to CONVERT the existing AC fan to a DC one then it is better to buy a news DC ceiling FAN :) just curious to know IF it is possible to change the motor of a fan form AC to DC so other people in the remote areas can do that too Or use our discarded ceiling fans there with the battery / solar .

Will chk the co-operative market here in karachi for the DC motor for this .

jazak ALLAH for the advice .

Posted

Yes IF it is not possible to CONVERT the existing AC fan to a DC one then it is better to buy a news DC ceiling FAN :) just curious to know IF it is possible to change the motor of a fan form AC to DC so other people in the remote areas can do that too Or use our discarded ceiling fans there with the battery / solar .

Will chk the co-operative market here in karachi for the DC motor for this .

jazak ALLAH for the advice .

I did a little googling and I think it is not practical trying to convert AC motor to DC motor. Fan is nothing more than a motor with blades on it.

I guess it will be more easier (economically and time-consumption) to buy DC motor. Just attach fan-blades structure to it and voila, you have a fan. Place it on desk and you'll have desk-fan or pedestal fan. Hung it from ceiling and you'll have ceiling fan. Just keep the structure simple and crude. No need to do fancy finish.

To learn more about fan-blade-structure then if you have access to "Lahori-style cooler" and pay attention how they put fan-blades structure on just an ordinary AC motor. Put same structure on a DC motor and it will be DC fan.

As DC motors usually comes with permanent magnets, that's why they are bit more expensive compared to AC motors. To save some bucks, try to get some used DC motors. Maybe used DC motor from a treadmill. Some treadmill have AC motors but "quieter" versions usually comes with DC motors.

Or if you are persistent enough then you can make your own DC motor. :) It's not that difficult, if you have spare times and you can get your hands on good quality magnets. I guess you can find tutorials on how to make your own DC motor on YouTube or Google. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress of your project. :)

Posted

383282532_197.jpg

There are the DC fan caps

I really like this idea and hot summer in lahore anooyingme so much, so it will reduce.

Posted

alhamdoLILLAH now m enjoying DC ceiling fans :)

Posted

Great articles ..........

Posted

thats great.is it having any heating issue? some drawbacks u have noticed? kindly add me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/fakhrealamm . i also want to convert my house supply to 12V DC. 

Posted

no issues , in-fact better than AC fan RPM and with remote control as well :) 

Posted

so you build it or buyied it ? share the experience...

Posted (edited)

no i didnt build it bcz building a DC fan was not easy :)  i bought 4 fans @8000 each, my home is solar alhamdoLILLAH so these are very helpful for me (by consuming 28 watts on full speed) also having 2 layers of bright white LEDs (10 watts total) 9 speeds to select from 2 watts to 28 watts . No heating issue , complete silent and a nice build . 

will replace rest of 2 dozens as well in near future in sha ALLAH . 

Edited by nadeem5476
1 person likes this

Posted

no i didnt build it bcz building a DC fan was not easy :)  i bought 4 fans @8000 each, my home is solar alhamdoLILLAH so these are very helpful for me (by consuming 28 watts on full speed) also having 2 layers of bright white LEDs (10 watts total) 9 speeds to select from 2 watts to 28 watts . No heating issue , complete silent and a nice build . 

will replace rest of 2 dozens as well in near future in sha ALLAH . 

thats great to hear, can you show screenshots with remote controller ? i also planning to buy dc fan's but not found ....