2mb student Package only downloads at 1mb...why? PTCL DSL

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

i upgraded my ptcl dsl from 1mb student package to 2mb student package 4months ago... but i only get 1mb speed

what is worst today i called ptcl complain like as many time before on 1218, and he came up with something new

he said my DSL is SHARED by PTCL DSL Policy i will never get full speed... WTF!!!

i didn't paid PTCL to get a shared DSL connection!!

why PTCL DSL 2mb is shared??? it never even once gave download speed more than 110kbps just as my previous 1mb speed...

i believe my line can handle 2mb because before i had 4mb & it worked at full speed download (480kbps+).

do you people have this PTCL DSL scam problem also? for the price of 2mb getting 1mb speed for last 3 months ???

here are the current Speed Test Results

Old Speed 1mb:

ptcl-dsl-1mb-speed-test.png

New Speed 2mb: (my speed after changing modem is still 109kbps average...exchange is only 100 steps away from my house...WTF 4 months 2mb billing, but still 1mb speed)

ptcl-dsl-2mb-speed-test.png

where is the Problem?

ptcl-dsl-2mb-student-package.jpg

Edited by DevilMind

Posted

^yep the speed looks pathetic. What speed you were getting when it was 1mb? ... also did you try adsl2+ mode?.

Posted (edited)

^yep the speed looks pathetic. What speed you were getting when it was 1mb? ... also did you try adsl2+ mode?.

my download speed on 1mb was 109kbps, on 2mb its same 109kbps...

but in 2mb it starts at 240kbps in few seconds it becomes 60kbps then comes & sticks to 109kbps...

i just tries adsl2+ mode...still nothing changed

Edited by DevilMind

Posted (edited)

DevilMind ,don't waste your time on 2mbit student package.. I have been through to this #$%# for long .. the port doesn't gets upgraded for 2mbit for student packages.Its all crappy marketing gimmicks .. try to upgrade it to normal 2mbit and see how it works ... this student package is only dram.These chipmunks sitting on controls have no idea,jhat gowar people are on high level seats,they don't even know how to talk... we thought etisalat will make them better but NO ,kutay ki dum kabhi sedhi nahi huti.

Edited by koder

Posted

DevilMind ,don't waste your time on 2mbit student package.. I have been through to this #$%# for long .. the port doesn't gets upgraded for 2mbit for student packages.Its all crappy marketing gimmicks .. try to upgrade it to normal 2mbit and see how it works ... this student package is only dram.These chipmunks sitting on controls have no idea,jhat gowar people are on high level seats,they don't even know how to talk... we thought etisalat will make them better but NO ,kutay ki dum kabhi sedhi nahi huti.

anyone out there has used 2mb connection student package with download speed 200-240kbps?? or its all just a PTCL crappy marketing gimmick ??

Posted

No its not a gimmick same thing happened to me, call helpline and tell them you have a 2mb connection and are getting 1mb speed and they will note down the complain and then keep pressing 2 whenever the automated call comes on your landline as apparently the person incharge of setting the port speed is in islamabad and he has to be emailed and then he upgrades the port from 1mb to 2mb. :)

Posted

No its not a gimmick same thing happened to me, call helpline and tell them you have a 2mb connection and are getting 1mb speed and they will note down the complain and then keep pressing 2 whenever the automated call comes on your landline as apparently the person incharge of setting the port speed is in islamabad and he has to be emailed and then he upgrades the port from 1mb to 2mb. :)

PTCL 1218 technical department says

on 1mb i will get 109 kbps

on 2mb i will get 125-130 kbps

is it true??

what speed do you get?

Posted

i have been using student 2mb for about 2 months now, i get 250+ speed with download manager but for torrents i get 60 to 80

Posted

PTCL 1218 technical department says

on 1mb i will get 109 kbps

on 2mb i will get 125-130 kbps

is it true??

what speed do you get?

On 1mb you will get 115 to 125kb speed

On 2mb you will get 205 to 280kb speed

depending on the condition of your line if there is noise when you pick up the phone receiver get it fixed by calling 1218 and filing a complain in the telephone section by pressing 1 when the IVR says if nature of complaint is telephone press 1 and press 2 for broadband.

Torrent speed depends on the number of seeders and enable encryption "forced" in utorrent. its in the bittorrent section in preferences

Posted

I also upgraded from 1mb student package to 4mb and since then I am getting max 160kbps download rate. I have filed complaint twice and they say that port is yet to be upgraded in exchange... :@

I'll visit exchange tomorrow and if port doesn't get updated, I'll go back to 1mb connections in 3 days.

Posted

Its a bloody marketing gimmick.. the tricks doesn't works,its a waste of time.

Posted

I requested for normal 2 mb upgraded under their promotional upgrade program and it took around 1 week to get it done... in the last the man who installed my DSL ...remained at my home for 3 hrs until my issues got resolved... Allah Bless him.... i think he might be making his TA/DA :P

Thanks

Posted

Finally, I got upgraded to 4mb. After wasting 50-60 mins in 3 days on 1218, I decided to visit exchange. Went there a while ago and met the person who installed broadband connection in my home 3 years ago and told him my problem. He made one call in network dept. and it was done!

So my advice is that dialing 1218 is USELESS! Go to exchange and talk to someone over there.

Posted

@OP

On student package you can't hit 200 constantly. however that 130 mark suggested by 1218 guy also seems low to me, you should at least get ~150 on 2Mb

Posted

^

On 2 mb regular package... m getting avg 1.70 - 1.75 mbps as per Speedtest

when i was on 1 mb then avg speed was 0.85 - 0.90 mbps as per speedtest

Thanks

Posted

Hello,

Please some one tell me what is the best DSL which provide good dsl speed as well as i also need static ip as well... in Karachi Gulistan e Johar

Please don't tell me PEE TEA CARE LESS (PTCL)

please advice me some another...

Posted

^

On 2 mb regular package... m getting avg 1.70 - 1.75 mbps as per Speedtest

when i was on 1 mb then avg speed was 0.85 - 0.90 mbps as per speedtest

Thanks

And How speed u get on direct downloading like from browser only like mozilla ......without any download accelerator????and how much with download accelerator (like idm,dap.....) ?

Also are u having same speed avery time or are there any peak hours in which speed fluctuates ????

Posted

^

Well always i download using IDM and get avg speed of around 200 KBps at most of the time. Same speed on torrents mostly.

Never checked on Mozilla but on browser u dont get speed as per IDM.

Thanks

Posted

IDM is good but if you are downloading big seasons or movies then you will have to use torrents, dc++ or irc. torrents are easier as one can hit and run :) but in torrents its all about seeders strength , on 2mb you should get 277kb

Posted

but idm not gives u real speed because it break large files to small parts and then it download it with simultaneous connnection....if u r getting 25 to 40 kB/s in browser downloading even then with idm u get speed close enough to ur package but at that speed if u stream any 480p or 360p video minimum at youtube then it buffers again n again thats y M asking ur real download speed i.e on single link with browser downloading ...... plz chek it then tell mee ....

:)

Posted

^

Sure,, I will n yup it would be definitely less :)

Thanks

Posted

^

Avg speed i got on normal downloading from browser is too low ....avg 35- 40 KB . checked by downloading a small file from Microsoft site.

Thanks

Posted

This is nothing. I sometimes get 1mb on my evo nitro connection. :o

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2