How to connect tp link router with ptcl wifi modem

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I am not happy with the range of ptcl wifi modem and i want to use to link router instead. Can i connect the tp link router with ptcl wifi modem? How?

Posted

Hello!

Please post details of both your devices so we can get an idea of the capabilities of the devices ... anyways ... in general this is what you can do:

1. Universal Repeater: A universal repeater function would greatly simplify things and tp-link has devices with this function! Here is a sample: http://uk.tp-link.com/article/?id=348

2. WDS: Wireless Distribution System is an "older" method that requires both devices to be compatible, is harder to set up and likely to only work with WEP security

3. WAP: Use a LAN cable and use your tp-link one as Wireless Access Point ... would need a LAN cable to the tp-link router and it would need to support WAP mode (commonly supported) ... routing functions would be performed by ptcl's router!

4. Modem + Wireless Router: Configure the PTCL's router into modem only mode (bridge) and use your newer tp-link wireless router (pppoe) ... ptcl router's wifi would be disabled in this case and routing functions would be provided by tp-link's router!

Regards,

Ahmed Faraz

Posted

Hello Again!

Here is the list of tp-link's devices with capabilities:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/article/?faqid=438

"

Supported Security Types of TP-LINK Access Points

Suitable for: Outdoor Wireless, 300Mbps Wireless N Access Points, 150Mbps Wireless N Access Points, 54Mbps Wireless G Access Points, Range Extenders

Note: Supported security types vary on different operation modes and different models.

Part 1: Wireless N Access Point (TL-WR701ND, TL-WA801ND v1, TL-WA901ND)
Six operation modes are supported here, including Access Point, Multi-SSID, Client, Repeater, Universal Repeater and Bridge with AP. Here are the security types which different operation modes can support.

1) Access Point mode: WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
2) Multi-SSID mode: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
3) Client mode:WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
4) Repeater mode:WEP,WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
5) Universal Repeater mode:WEP,WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
6) Bridge of AP mode:WEP

Notice: Bridge with AP mode of TL-WA701ND v2 / TL-WA801ND v2 / TL-WA901ND v3 support WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.

Part 2: Range Extender (TL-WA730RE, TL-WA830RE)
They support only two modes: AP mode & Range Extender.

1)    Range Extender: WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
2)    AP Mode: WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

Part 3: Wireless G Access Point (TL-WA500G, TL-WA501G, TL-WA601G)
Six operation modes are supported here, including Access Point, Client, Repeater, Universal Repeater and Bridge. Here are the security types which different operation modes can support.

1)AP mode:WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
2)Client mode:WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
3)Repeater mode:WEP
4)Universal Repeater mode:WEP
5)Bridge mode:WEP

Part 4: High Power Wireless G Access Point (TL-WA5110G, TL-WA5210G)
They support three operation mode types, AP Client Router, AP Router and AP.

1)AP Client Router mode: WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
2)AP Router mode:WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
3) AP mode: It’s the same as Part 2 (54Mbps Wireless G access point).

Part 5: TL-WA7510N
It supports three operation modes: AP Client Router, AP Router and Standard AP.

1)AP Client Router mode: WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
2)AP Router mode:WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
3)AP mode: It’s the same as Part 1 (Wireless N access point).

"

Posted

I am not happy with the range of ptcl wifi modem and i want to use to link router instead. Can i connect the tp link router with ptcl wifi modem? How?

Wow. I just did this today. Working fine til now. Google how to connect two routers or remind ne and I'll post the how did it in a day or two

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Posted

Connect your TPLink wifi router to your computer Lan port and open the IE browser and type ip 192.168.1.1  (Read the TP-Link user manual for appropriate IP) and change the DHCP server ip address to 192.168.2.1 and save configuration.

Detach the TP-Link wifi router from pc lan port and connect it to your PTCL Modem's ethernet port.  

Posted

I have a similar question. I have a tenda w300 wireless router connected with shiro modem of ptcl. Although it's ip address is different, it asks for access Id and pw

Posted

Lan cable from shiro goes into the WAN port of tenda w303, I open 192.168.0.1 and when I put admin & admin as access Id and pw it doesn't work.

Posted

For people trying to connect two routers, this is how I did it

Ptcl router-> A

Other (mine was tplink wr642) -> B

First, connect B directly to ur computer using lan cable and open settings page.. (usually 192.168.1.1) login/pass is usually admin/admin

Now in network change the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 (this is done to conflict with first router n other computers)

After saving, now to do dhcp and disable it (as new ip addresses should be assigned by A)

Now connect A to computer in DHCP, change IP range to 192.168.1.3 (instead of .1. 1) and end range to 192.168.1.200 (instead of .1.254)

Almost done.. now you can connect Lan cable from a numbered port of A to a numbered port of B (dont connect it to WAN port). And you are done

I have kept the names of both routers seperate (one is ptclwifi and other is tplink) to distinguish and check both ranges. Frequency channel is the same (gav me problems when I changed it). Using 100 feet of lan wire I now hav good signals from tplink upstairs and good signals from ptclwifi downstairs. When I want to access router B , I put in 192.168.1.254 in address bar etc.

You can change settings if u want (esp ip etc) esp if u understand ehy I dod what I did.. hope that helps.

For any confusion, just ask.. typing from a mobile hence kept it short

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ptcl router-> A

First, connect B directly to ur computer using lan cable and open settings page.. (usually 192.168.1.1) login/pass is usually admin/admin

Now in network change the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 (this is done to avoid conflict with first router n other computers)

After saving, now to do dhcp and disable it (as new ip addresses should be assigned by A)

Now connect A to computer in DHCP, change IP range to 192.168.1.3 (instead of .1. 1) and end range to 192.168.1.200 (instead of .1.254)

Almost done.. now you can connect Lan cable from a numbered port of A to a numbered port of B (dont connect it to WAN port). And you are done

I have kept the names of both routers seperate (one is ptclwifi and other is tplink) to distinguish and check both ranges. Frequency channel is the same (gav me problems when I changed it). Using 100 feet of lan wire I now hav good signals from tplink upstairs and good signals from ptclwifi downstairs. When I want to access router B , I put in 192.168.1.254 in address bar etc.

You can change settings if u want (esp ip etc) esp if u understand ehy I dod what I did.. hope that helps.

Edited by hdaackda

Posted

PTCL wi-fi Modem gives range with great usage experience.If you have any problem due to its router, you can just go to PTCL help services.

Posted

I have Ptcl wifi modem and tp link 3420 3g router How to Configure step by step

can any one tel me please how to make wireless bridge 

i ''ll very than full that person

Posted

I have Ptcl wifi modem and tp link 3420 3g router How to Configure step by step

can any one tel me please how to make wireless bridge 

i ''ll very than full that person

i have the same problem and that video gave me a bit to relax ..see and video hopefully you will get solution of your problem but for wireless bridge you must have 4mb ptcl connection,minimum requirement is above 3 mb....check the video and get the solution to your problem.      

Posted

i have a question : i have a PTCL wifi modem, working fine, DHCP is enabled so many devices are connected in it, my question is ... is it possible that can I bound any device to restrict the speed limit? I mean if my connection is 2MB, can I allow the speed limit of 256KB to any computer from 2MB.

Posted

Ptcl router-> A

Now in network change the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 (this is done to conflict with first router n other computers)

Just sighned up to thank you. :)